This is good to hear, if they stick to it!

PalsPal

And with Texas ranked No. 7 and Alabama ranked No. 8, that head-to-head result looms large as both teams play in conference championship games this weekend. But CFP selection committee chair Boo Corrigan emphasized that the head-to-head matchup doesn't lose value over time.

"Head-to-head is head-to-head, no matter when the game is played, and that's how we look at it," Corrigan said.

And with the Crimson Tide and Longhorns both at one loss and potential careening toward selection Sunday with relatively similar resumes, that win for Texas could be a massive separator.

Gravey

If they played today would Texas win again? Who knows but head to head definitely matters. You can argue strength of schedule and how each team is playing at the end of the year and whatever else you want to throw in but if both end the season with 1 loss then I think Texas is ahead of them. It doesn't matter if they don't make it to the top 4.

Bamamonts

I agree Texas gets in over Bama if they when this weekend. Head to head matters. I hear people talk about if they played now who would win and I would have confidence in Bama winning now. But they don't play now; they played then and Texas won by 10 points in BDS. It's a full season and every game counts.
I know why FSU is ranked where they are but they are not one of the 4 best teams in the country.
IMHO Texas should be at 4 in front of FSU and Oregon. I'm also not sure Washington should be top 4. I honestly think OSU has one of the best 4 teams in the country.
I think Bama misses the playoffs even if they beat Georgia and I'm ok with that. This Bama team has improved as much as any team I watched this year. To come as far as they have and to win the SEC and take down a team at the top of the mountain would be a great accomplishment.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
The head-to-head is a big factor; even more so taking into account that Texas won on Alabama's home field. Bama's schedule this season set up well this season with the toughest opponents at home. Georgia had a fairly weak schedule but are probably the best team in the country.

As for the rest of the top teams, it's a matter of styles and match-ups as to which teams are better. I think Michigan, Ohio State, and Georgia are actually the best three teams; the fourth best team is a tossup.

Zulu

Unless there's total Armageddon this week, it looks like to get in this year a team will have to be a conference champion and have no more than one loss, so here's how I see the shakeout of the possible players.

1. Georgia: Win-in/Lose-out (Undef SEC champ)
2. Michigan: Win-in/Lose-out (Undef B10 champ)
3. Washington: Win-in/Lose-out (Undef P12 champ)
4. Florida State: Win-in/Lose-out (Undef ACC champ)
5. Oregon: Win-in/Lose-out (1 Loss P12 champ)
6. Ohio State: Out (no chance for Conf Champ)
7. Texas: Win plus GA or MI or FSU lose-in (1 loss B12 champ)
8. Alabama: Lose-out, Win plus MI or FSU or TX lose-in (1 loss SEC champ)
Rest of the field: Out.

This is a tight year ... the only one I can think of where the #1 going into championship week had to win to go on.
Also, the one year where there is a real possibility (not probable, but possible) where the SEC gets left out.

JBell

If they played today would Texas win again? Who knows but head to head definitely matters. You can argue strength of schedule and how each team is playing at the end of the year and whatever else you want to throw in but if both end the season with 1 loss then I think Texas is ahead of them. It doesn't matter if they don't make it to the top 4.
Go back to last year when bama finished Ahead of UT

PillsburyDoughboy

Go back to last year when bama finished Ahead of UT
Just looking at Beating Georgia at this point. Letting the Playoff Commmite make up their minds who the best 4 teams are to make the playoffs.

"The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members' evaluation of the teams' performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable."

THEdonkey0515

Yup, I kept saying I don't see how you put bama in over texas if they both win. You can't take a double digit head to head win @ bama, and say well that was at the beginning of season it don't matter now.

But I've seen mutiple bama fans say they are a lock as long as they beat UGA.

If Michigan and fsu are both 13-0, with a .12-1 Texas team that holds a head to head win over Bama. And the pac-12 champ Washington or Oregon. I think it's very possible Bama could still miss the playoffs with a win over UGA.

And for the ones that say 13-0 FSU should not get in I thought it was based on wins/losses, SOS, Conference Chip, head to head match ups, etc.....

Not QB got hurt, so bama is better team.

Last edited:

bloodtrailing

I do think team change over the season. Some due to their own improvement and some due to injury. UT had a strong team last year, but injury impacted their latter part of the season. Bama had the same issue with key receiver injuries. Sometimes things change that impact where they are.

I thought it was about the best teams and I know "resume" is one piece but not all that should be considered.

JBell

If any of you think the SEC should not be represented in the playoffs, you have lost your mind😂 if bama beats Georgia, get ready…… they are in. And I'm not completely convinced that Georgia won't still sneak in if it's a close game. But a win over #1, and sec champion gets them in. I think beating Georgia is a tough task. The bama I've watched has been up and down this year. More ups lately. Until the iron bowl. They better bring it for Georgia if they want a chance

PillsburyDoughboy

If any of you think the SEC should not be represented in the playoffs, you have lost your mind😂 if bama beats Georgia, get ready…… they are in. And I'm not completely convinced that Georgia won't still sneak in if it's a close game. But a win over #1, and sec champion gets them in. I think beating Georgia is a tough task. The bama I've watched has been up and down this year. More ups lately. Until the iron bowl. They better bring it for Georgia if they want a chance
say this louder for those in the back of the pack.