Interesting!

JAY B

This first is the same pic I posted a week or so ago, it was taken 12/19/10 , the second was taken on 12/30/10 these pics were taken about 1.5 miles apart. Looks like the same buck to me, what yall think? (notice split g2)
MDGC0428-1-1.jpg

MDGC0088-1.jpg

TheLBLman

I know most hunters don't want to hear this, but "our" bucks move around much greater distances (mainly at night) than we wish. Almost every year I have pics of identifiable bucks which are killed over a mile from the nearest pic I have for them.

A buck I was particularly gunning for in 2008 was killed over 3 miles from where I was regularly getting his pics.

Yes, "your" buck above certainly appears to be the same buck in both pics. :)

BSK

JAY B said:
these pics were taken about 1.5 miles apart.

As Wes pointed out, deer, and especially bucks can be very mobile. Running a lot of trail-cams over a lot of years has proven to me time and again that most deer move around and some deer move around a lot, both time-wise and distance-wise.

JAY B

cecil30-30 said:
Im calling it the same deer.Notice the white spot below his ear.

Question is,why haven't you killed him yet? Seems like he's moving alot in the daytime...LOL
There is a large tract between the two seperate properties on which these pics were taken which is not part of the property I hunt! I feel like he is probably spending alot of time there. Believe me I have spent alot of hours chasing this buck the past week, and will continue until season ends, especially now that I have learned a tad bit about his travel(or maybe I just think I have,lol)!

Andy S.

BSK said:
Running a lot of trail-cams over a lot of years has proven to me time and again that most deer move around and some deer move around a lot, both time-wise and distance-wise.
X2....I have witnessed the exact same thing running 4-6 cams a year over the last 7 years at Ames. Running numerous cams on a vast amount of land has really opened my eyes as to the distance unique bucks will travel.

TheLBLman

Andy S. said:
Running numerous cams on a vast amount of land has really opened my eyes as to the distance unique bucks will travel.
Same here, but I'm envious of your having 18,000 contiguous acres to run your cams! You can really have the entire range of some bucks within Ames!

But even with a place like Ames, I'd bet MOST bucks that spend some time on Ames, don't spend all their time within the boundaries of those 18,000 acres. But that's a heck of a parcel by TN standards, over 28 square miles in one block!

Andy S.

Wes Parrish said:
Same here, but I'm envious of your having 18,000 contiguous acres to run your cams! You can really have the entire range of some bucks within Ames!
I agree Wes, having access to that much land really does add another dimension when compared with the typical 250-1000 acre tracts that are most common in TN. Another factor to consider is I often times get to compare my trail cam pics with numerous other Ames members/staff who typically hunt totally different tracts than I. It is amazing to see some of the same unique bucks in vastly different areas, sometimes a mile or more apart in a matter of hours and days. If i did not have the pics with date/time stamp to prove it, I could never get some of my hunting buds to believe it. I still believe some of them don't want to believe it. Old habits and beliefs die hard. :)

Wes Parrish said:
But even with a place like Ames, I'd bet MOST bucks that spend some time on Ames, don't spend all their time within the boundaries of those 18,000 acres. But that's a heck of a parcel by TN standards, over 28 square miles in one block!
I agree 100%. With that said, I will have to point out that there is no better cover in the area, and we have TONS of it. The mature bucks have all the cover they ever need and then some.

Bullfrog

Definitely looks like the same deer. I duck hunted with a guy from Clarksville a few weeks ago that had killed a 170" 12 pt. He has a buddy that had been getting pics of the exact deer...5 miles away.

BSK

Bullfrog said:
He has a buddy that had been getting pics of the exact deer...5 miles away.

And it's that kind of information that makes you wonder how in the heck small-land management can actual work. But it does...

PickettSFHunter

I have seen numerous big bucks here in my county that are killed 5-10 miles away from where they summer. Ive seen quite a few more really big deer get killed miles from where they were just seen days before during the rut. I know for a fact that a big nontypical I killed was in my Aunts field that is over 3 miles straightline away, straight up a mountain, only 2 days before it was killed. Its amazing what they will do.

Latest posts