Interesting concept

BSK

I have had certain deer stink eye my brownings and those things don't make a sound my ear can hear and they have no light at all.
Having run just about every brand of camera over many years, I've learned deer notice anything that wasn't there yesterday. Their ability to pick out "something new" is truly amazing, even tiny cameras well hidden. When I move a camera to a new location, every deer that comes by for the next day or two locks up and stares at the camera, even in daylight, and even when the camera makes no noise at all. The deer simply see the camera and have to give it a good stare-down. Then, once is does nothing to them, they ignore it from then on. Until I move it again.

Antler Daddy

Having run just about every brand of camera over many years, I've learned deer notice anything that wasn't there yesterday. Their ability to pick out "something new" is truly amazing, even tiny cameras well hidden. When I move a camera to a new location, every deer that comes by for the next day or two locks up and stares at the camera, even in daylight, and even when the camera makes no noise at all. The deer simply see the camera and have to give it a good stare-down. Then, once is does nothing to them, they ignore it from then on. Until I move it again.
Makes you wonder if they have some sense that detects circuit electronics or something.

backyardtndeer

Interesting idea, sure someone will give them a try and post feedback.

A moving camera is going to slow trigger to image capture times....

Last edited:

backyardtndeer

When I move a camera to a new location, every deer that comes by for the next day or two locks up and stares at the camera, even in daylight, and even when the camera makes no noise at all.
Do you wear gloves and go in scent free? Good chance they pick up scent left behind on cameras, keying them in to the camera.

BSK

Do you wear gloves and go in scent free? Good chance they pick up scent left behind on cameras, keying them in to the camera.
They lock up on the camera from 30 and 40 yards away. It is a visual thing. However, quite often does will approach the camera and sniff it. No negative reaction. I can't count the number of videos I have of does with their noses smashed into the camera lens. I've even had them lick the camera.

backyardtndeer

I've even had them lick the camera.
Possible they smelled the sweat from your hands on the cameras.... I have had deer, especially does, also key in on my cameras. Some of those were cameras that had the faintest audible "click", others had absolutely zero noise or other ways the deer should have picked them up. When I can remember to, I take gloves and wear them when swapping cards and batteries. When I set up mock scrapes at cameras, I go in as scent free as possible.

Last year was my second year using a cell cam, no checking/swapping cards didn't pay attention to deer keying in on the camera after placing it, but will try to remember to this year.

BSK

Possible they smelled the sweat from your hands on the cameras.... I have had deer, especially does, also key in on my cameras. Some of those were cameras that had the faintest audible "click", others had absolutely zero noise or other ways the deer should have picked them up. When I can remember to, I take gloves and wear them when swapping cards and batteries. When I set up mock scrapes at cameras, I go in as scent free as possible.

Last year was my second year using a cell cam, no checking/swapping cards didn't pay attention to deer keying in on the camera after placing it, but will try to remember to this year.
I used to be uber careful checking and placing cameras. Even wore a plastic rainsuit driving in to the camera location just in case I rubbed against anything. Wore surgical gloves when touching camera. However, over time, I've learned what I can and can't get away with when placing/working cameras. And the interesting thing is, it's different from place to place. I think it comes down to hunting pressure. In high-pressure areas, deer are much jumpier about human scent. In lower-pressure areas, not so much.

agelessssone

They lock up on the camera from 30 and 40 yards away. It is a visual thing. However, quite often does will approach the camera and sniff it. No negative reaction. I can't count the number of videos I have of does with their noses smashed into the camera lens. I've even had them lick the camera.
Absolutely! I've got lots of photos of deer's nose hairs.

Latest posts