Kinda interesting sequence

backyardtndeer

Someone was asking the other day about coyote scent left behind booogering deer and spooking them. Have seen this before on trail cameras with coyotes rolling in scrapes. This time a young 8 point comes to the scrape and smells it just a few hours after the coyote had left his smell in the dirt. Over the next few days an assortment of deer have continued to check this scrape, and coyotes have also been back to it. No deer were caught working that scrape since the coyotes have been there though.

MFDC0456resized.JPGMFDC0457resized.JPGMFDC0459resized.JPG
MFDC0460resized.JPG
MFDC0462resized.JPG

Omega

Many predators will roll in scrapes and on carcasses to conceal their scent, see it often on areas where gut piles get cleaned up. I think deer are just used to having predators come to scrapes, salt/mineral sites and bait stations to check and see if any of them are around, so scent doesn't bother them.

WanderingNomad

Many predators will roll in scrapes and on carcasses to conceal their scent, see it often on areas where gut piles get cleaned up. I think deer are just used to having predators come to scrapes, salt/mineral sites and bait stations to check and see if any of them are around, so scent doesn't bother them.
Funny, that my uncle used to roll in scrapes in his hunting gear..

DoubleRidge

Not to go off topic....but along the same lines....I've gotten pictures of coyotes urinating at mineral sites multiple times....first time I thought well that's great....but after second and third time I realized they must be marking territory or something.... regardless of reason...I didn't notice a reduction in the number of deer pics we collected.

JCDEERMAN

Does not bother them at all. I see it all the time. Kind of on the same topic, but I carry a coyote call with me in my pack. Instead of blowing deer out of a field or around your stand once it gets dark, I'll just blow that thing and they take off and they never associate that with a human. Within 5 minutes, they will be back at ease 100 yards or so away allowing you to head back to camp. They live with them out there and encounter them all the time.

DoubleRidge

Does not bother them at all. I see it all the time. Kind of on the same topic, but I carry a coyote call with me in my pack. Instead of blowing deer out of a field or around your stand once it gets dark, I'll just blow that thing and they take off and they never associate that with a human. Within 5 minutes, they will be back at ease 100 yards or so away allowing you to head back to camp. They live with them out there and encounter them all the time.

I remember you sharing this method before...I've got to try this....I've been stuck on stand or in the shooting house more times than I care to admit.... especially on these warmer days where they come out the last 30 minutes of daylight.

JCDEERMAN

I remember you sharing this method before...I've got to try this....I've been stuck on stand or in the shooting house more times than I care to admit.... especially on these warmer days where they come out the last 30 minutes of daylight.
It definitely works. They won't stick around 🤣.....but again, there is zero association with a human. Mine is a cheap call under $15 and takes up no space. Almost had to use it Friday evening, but the buck finally chased the 2 does I was watching down off the ridge I was on

BSK

Not to go off topic....but along the same lines....I've gotten pictures of coyotes urinating at mineral sites multiple times....first time I thought well that's great....but after second and third time I realized they must be marking territory or something.... regardless of reason...I didn't notice a reduction in the number of deer pics we collected.
^^^^^
This

I have many pictures of coyotes peeing on a salt rock and then deer licking on it hours later. Strange.

BSK

That is really a great idea.

Latest posts