Injured Hawk

TAFKAP

There's an injured Cooper's hawk in the gutter in front of my house. The TWRA officer gave me the name of the two raptor rescue people in Memphis, but one is busy and the other isn't answering her phone.

Can anyone else come help? We're in Germantown, and this hawk hasn't moved in over an hour. Its leg is cocked at a weird angle, so I really don't think it's resting to fly off anytime soon. If you can, please call my cell phone.

(901) six five two, four two five five

BigGameGuy

Unfortunately the best advice I can give you is to leave a message and wait for them to call back. As a highly regulated migratiry bird species, only those certified by the USFWS can handle the call. We wanted to pick up a roadkilled peregrine a few years ago for an educational display and had to go through the US Fish and Wildlife Service just to do that.

TAFKAP

Thanks to Google, I was able to track down the lady listed as the "other" licensed raptor hander. I believe she's actually a TWRA commissioner, but she was adamant that she isn't a qualified raptor person.

Can I even move the bird out of the gutter?

TAFKAP

Knox Martin came and got it. I was told it was called a sharp-shinned hawk, rather than the Cooper's hawk I initially claimed it to be. Here's hoping the little guy pulls through.

Latest posts