Inherited some rifles

goose17

So my wife's grandpa passed away not long ago and his guns got divided up between family with me and two boys getting three. I got a Rossi lever action 357 mag/38 special. Has anyone ever killed a deer with a 357 mag? It's not drilled or tapped for a scope so it would be within a 100 yard shots.

PillsburyDoughboy

The Rossi is a decent little rifle but not as robust as a Winchester or Marlin. While I know they are safe to shoot with factory loads be mindful about shooting them with some of the hot loaded .357 loads out there rated for carbines. Might be a bit much for it.

Most any semi wad cutter in .357 mag should be good to anchor a deer in the ranges intended. Think 75 yards and in and your thinking right. Enjoy.

PillsburyDoughboy

I personally never have shot a deer with a 357 carbine. A friend of mine has and those deer were definitely dead. He loves that rifle.
Awesome camp carbines. Great for home defense with low recoil.

Curve starts dropping pretty rapidly past 100 yards. Terminal ballistics really start dropping past 75 yards which is why I suggested 75 yards is limiting with the carbine.

vonb

I have a Henry Big Boy Steel carbine in .357. It has to be at the top of the list for most fun rifle to shoot. I mounted a red dot on mine (sacrilege I know) which makes it a point and shoot setup. With a heavy load of H110 and a Honrady 158 XTP-FP, there is not a deer alive that can survive it. It's traveling 1650-1800 fps and gets it done.

PillsburyDoughboy

I have a Henry Big Boy Steel carbine in .357. It has to be at the top of the list for most fun rifle to shoot. I mounted a red dot on mine (sacrilege I know) which makes it a point and shoot setup. With a heavy load of H110 and a Honrady 158 XTP-FP, there is not a deer alive that can survive it. It's traveling 1650-1800 fps and gets it done.
My sons first deer rifle had a Red Dot on it. Thought it was the best thing in the world since I thought HMMM eye relief ? scope eye? No problem teach the boy to put the dot on the target and go boom right? Well he killed his first doe at 30 yards no problem. Hit her a bit high but the boy was 10 years old. We have all been there. Then he kills another doe a few weeks later hits her really low and I am thinking he was hitting a B-27 TARGET to simulate a deer inverted pretty well at the range at 50 yards what gives?

Then we got up on a deer at 75 yards overlooking a field. He says he cannot see the deer at all. I say give me the rifle. Sure enough the dot is covering the entire deer for the most part. Impossible to get any sort of shot on the deer. I think the dot was a 6 min dot. A 3 Min dot would have been better probably.

Even the Firedot systems on the Leupolds and similar Scopes with Magnification tend to wash out on Deer and other Light Colored animals. I think they are better suited for Dark Colored hides like Bear and Wild Boar.

Home defense and tactical set ups? Probably the greatest thing since sliced bread.

vonb

My sons first deer rifle had a Red Dot on it. Thought it was the best thing in the world since I thought HMMM eye relief ? scope eye? No problem teach the boy to put the dot on the target and go boom right? Well he killed his first doe at 30 yards no problem. Hit her a bit high but the boy was 10 years old. We have all been there. Then he kills another doe a few weeks later hits her really low and I am thinking he was hitting a B-27 TARGET to simulate a deer inverted pretty well at the range at 50 yards what gives?

Then we got up on a deer at 75 yards overlooking a field. He says he cannot see the deer at all. I say give me the rifle. Sure enough the dot is covering the entire deer for the most part. Impossible to get any sort of shot on the deer. I think the dot was a 6 min dot. A 3 Min dot would have been better probably.

Even the Firedot systems on the Leupolds and similar Scopes with Magnification tend to wash out on Deer and other Light Colored animals. I think they are better suited for Dark Colored hides like Bear and Wild Boar.

Home defense and tactical set ups? Probably the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I won't use a dot any larger than a 2MOA dot on my carbines. Small(er) dot gives more precise aiming point. That should give me what I need out to ~100 yards. Any further and I'm grabbing a bolt gun.

Dennis

I have killed a couple with a 357 mag carbine and Buffalo bore ammo. Shots right around 100 yds as I recall. No issues, fun to shoot for sure

Latest posts