Indirect Charcoal Grilling, Weber style

MidTennFisher

Re: Indirect Charcoal Grilling, Weber style

Great info and thanks for all the pics and advice. I'm in the market to buy a grill and know very little about it. I've become a pretty good cook as of lately but grilling is the next step. I don't want a gas grill, definitely want charcoal/wood burning and was looking in Lowes the other day at the few charcoal grills they had. Pretty pricy for what they are. I had no idea keeping it simple with these kettle grills is really a better option. They're a lot cheaper too than these fancy stainless steel ones.

Do any of you guys cook with wood only or do you recommend charcoal then adding wood for additional flavor? I'd really like to learn to grill with only or at least mostly wood. Any advice?

moondawg

MidTennFisher":2hu1o3qx said:
Great info and thanks for all the pics and advice. I'm in the market to buy a grill and know very little about it. I've become a pretty good cook as of lately but grilling is the next step. I don't want a gas grill, definitely want charcoal/wood burning and was looking in Lowes the other day at the few charcoal grills they had. Pretty pricy for what they are. I had no idea keeping it simple with these kettle grills is really a better option. They're a lot cheaper too than these fancy stainless steel ones.

Do any of you guys cook with wood only or do you recommend charcoal then adding wood for additional flavor? I'd really like to learn to grill with only or at least mostly wood. Any advice?

I go with charcoal, and add wood chips on it as the charcoal turns white. My brother, however, will just burn wood and cook over those coals.

TboneD

moondawg":2g8so4ba said:
MidTennFisher":2g8so4ba said:

I go with charcoal, and add wood chips on it as the charcoal turns white. My brother, however, will just burn wood and cook over those coals.

Nothing is better than cooking over oak or hickory coals for grilling high heat, not even lump charcoal. So for special occasions I say go for it. However, it does take a lot more time for the wood to burn down to coals. So I prefer lump because it's almost as hot and is ready to cook on very fast. Kingsford Competition is expensive but burns pretty hot for briquettes. As for a little smoke flavor, adding wood chunks or chips as Moondawg does works well. I get all the sassafras I want from my parents place and is great on chicken. Makes the patio smell good, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TboneD

MidTennFisher":2j7wohx6 said:

If you live in middle TN and want a heck of a deal check out the Weber Premium Original Kettle I posted about in the general forum. Saw it this morning in Mt Juliet at the Bargain Hunt for $97. Once you've cooked on Webers it's hard to pass up bargains even when you have one at the house. Lol.

TboneD

Forvols":cday1ytu said:
Great site and lots of videos and grilling indirect cooking and mainly using a weber performer type kettle grill. Videos are not long and entertaining.

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes

Don't you know it! And the thing is, for all their redneckery, they're brilliant, and have over half a million YouTube subscribers. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm almost sure that it used to say something on one of their pages about owned or run by Time Life Books or some big outfit like that. I just checked and now can't find anything like that but anyhow, somebody knows what their doing. Anyhow, it's not only clear that the guy has culinary schooling, but he sure knows his way around a Weber! Great post! You just gotta promise that for every two you watch that you actually try one, or something like that...cause they have like a kazilion episodes or recipes!

Mike Belt

I have 5 smokers/grills. My Weber gets 99% of the cooking time when just cooking for the family, much of it used with indirect heat with or without a water pan. I wouldn't trade it for all my others.

TboneD

Finally got to use the rotisserie my wife got me for Christmas! Skin wasn't crisp but moist and tender, like the inside. I'll use more charcoal in the baskets next time but it was really good!
7d5d0ed929b1fcfd4a6e25a984c49221.jpg

818ffb3356f34a223c61c196aa93e052.jpg

TboneD

I love doing spatchcocked chicken. I butterflied a turkey on my big Weber kettle but couldn't find the pic.

MidTennFisher

I joined the club and bought a 22" Weber kettle. I plan to only cook over wood so I have some trial and error to get out of the way. I can get all the hickory and oak I'll ever need from my parents land. I go there to chop firewood for them and take some for me too.

Saturday I figured I'd grill hot dogs since you really can't screw that up, right? I didn't want to take a chance messing up a valuable piece of meat like a deer backstrap. I learned that the way I did it, I didn't have quite enough wood to keep everything as hot as I needed after the wood burned down so I stuck a few more thin pieces in and let them flare up. Moved the hot dogs there and they cooked quickly. Next time I'll use a lot more wood.

TboneD

Indirect Charcoal Grilling, Weber style

MidTennFisher":33aarq5r said:
I joined the club and bought a 22" Weber kettle. I plan to only cook over wood so I have some trial and error to get out of the way. I can get all the hickory and oak I'll ever need from my parents land. I go there to chop firewood for them and take some for me too.

Saturday I figured I'd grill hot dogs since you really can't screw that up, right? I didn't want to take a chance messing up a valuable piece of meat like a deer backstrap. I learned that the way I did it, I didn't have quite enough wood to keep everything as hot as I needed after the wood burned down so I stuck a few more thin pieces in and let them flare up. Moved the hot dogs there and they cooked quickly. Next time I'll use a lot more wood.

Congrats on your new grill. Come Memorial Day, Lowe's and Home Depot will probably have really good Kingsford sales. You really ought to give charcoal a try some time. Personally I only use wood for steaks on special occasions but try everything and find what you like best.

EDIT: I should add that not only is charcoal quicker to ash over and cook with than wood, the MAIN thing is that CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES last a LOT longer. For instance, one Weber chimney's worth, or about 5 lbs, should give you indirect roasting temps for nearly an hour before the temp starts to fall.

Latest posts