Grilling my red snapper tonight

TAFKAP

I have decided what I'm gonna do with it.
Now I'm guessing 2-3 minutes per side ?
Also which side would you put towards the fire first ? Meat or skin ?
Thanks.

Skin-on snapper is one of my favorites.

Cross-hatch the skin (about 1" apart) with a knife, careful not to go too deep. Salt the crap out of the inside & outside.

I like to really get that sizzle going on the meat side first, get some good grill marks (about 2 mins), then flip it. Get a nice good sizzle on the skin side, then move it to the cooler side of the grill and let it roast away from direct heat.

I love the crispy skin if it's done right. You shouldn't have any issue with the skin sticking, but it really helps to use oil on the skin and make sure your grates are perfectly clean.

TAFKAP

I did these whole ones a while back. Because of their size & body curvature, some of the skin was perfectly crispy, while other parts were flimsy & rubbery. A flat filet ought to crisp up better

12109209_731242811945_1374696091946223107_n.jpg

TAFKAP

The other trick is to sort of feel your way with a spatula. Let the heat & searing do the work. It should lift right off the grates if it's cooked well and ready to release. Otherwise, you'll be peeling either undercooked fish off and it'll stick, or overcooked and burned and it'll stick. Work that spatula under a tiny bit at a time and help it along, without trying to scrape.

4scout

I've never cooked snapper before but I've cooked salmon and like to cook it on a weber charcoal grill in a cast iron skillet with the skin side down and I don't flip it. Turns out really good. if you don't cook it too long.

Latest posts