Idiots on the lake

TNReb

People just blow my mind...

Yesterday I was fishing a ledge. I was about 20ft from a green buoy, marking the edge of the channel. I was just inside it - on the shallow side. I was in about 15ft of water casting in to about 5ft.

This group comes by in this massive wakeboard boat. He ran on the shallow side of me, no more than 20-30 yards from me - right where I was casting. I just tossed up my hands and mumbled something to myself. Mistake.

He saw me, and he pulled a u-turn and comes back and starts immediately mouthing off.

Drunk, overweight bozo (DOB): "You got something to say mother-f'er?"

Me: "You got the entire lake over here on this side but you purposely run right there? That close to me? Come on.. be safe..."

DOB: "Look, I fish too, but I don't do it in the middle of the f'ing channel"

Me: "I'm not in the middle of the channel. I'm 15ft deep casting in to 5ft. You just went out of your way to run right there where it's 5ft deep instead of staying in the channel that's 100s of yards wide."

DOB starts going bananas. F this. F that. F me. Keeps telling me to pull it to the bank and he's going to beat my @$$.

He has 2 dudes, a woman, and a kid in there with him. I'm trying not to escalate things for the sake of the kid. (and I'm pretty sure this guy was big enough to kick my butt.. but I KNOW 3 guys could kick my butt!)

DOB: "You're a b****! Your girls a b****, your mama's a b****, and your daddy is a b****!"

Me: "yeah yeah.. move on"

DOB just keeps screaming obscenities and I'm genuinely concerned he's going to ram my boat or something (wasn't even in my boat - I borrowed it!)

DOB: "I'll be waiting for you at the boat ramp, no matter how long it takes. I'm going to beat your @$$!"

Me: "If you're waiting for me at the boat ramp you're going to get a .45 put in your skull."

He kept mouthing off and drove away. Never saw him again. Glad he wasn't waiting on me at the boat ramp because I didn't actually have that .45 with me. :D

To their credit, nobody else on the boat even stood up or looked at me. I think they were all pretty embarrassed.

Probably had 50 other boats pass me with no problem whatsoever. People never cease to amaze me.

TWRA had just driven past me 10 minutes earlier and went in to a creek less than a mile away. I wish they'd came out and saw him. Also wish I had a phone # handy to quickly get a hold of someone to dispatch those officers to my area if needed. If I had known who to call I'd have gave them a quick ring and watch them take his drunk @$$ off the boat - especially with a little kid on it. Ticks me off.

Last edited:

Spurhunter

I expect this out of lake lice (pleasure boaters and jet ski riders) but even the fishermen are getting bad. I was at Kentucky Lake a week ago. Friday morning I get to my first spot. Start pulling crankbaits for crappie. Some assmonkey blows by me 30 yards away, pulls right into my path, shuts it down, cranks his radio up, and starts getting his rods out. If they required an IQ test and a score above 50 to launch, I believe 90% of boat owners would have to take up golf.

WTM

I expect this out of lake lice (pleasure boaters and jet ski riders) but even the fishermen are getting bad. I was at Kentucky Lake a week ago. Friday morning I get to my first spot. Start pulling crankbaits for crappie. Some assmonkey blows by me 30 yards away, pulls right into my path, shuts it down, cranks his radio up, and starts getting his rods out. If they required an IQ test and a score above 50 to launch, I believe 90% of boat owners would have to take up golf.
lol one of the reasons i quit fishing the north end in 98.

TAFKAP

Pretty sure his passengers ushered his drunk a$$ away at the ramp.

As Ruger said, people suck sometimes.

Just think, in 384 months, that boat is gonna be paid off!

I was talking with a buddy last week about how the DOB's blast by his family's place on Pickwick, and how he videoed an encounter like that. Got a crystal clear video of himself on a sailboat, under sail power, getting nearly plowed over by a big cabin cruiser. Homeboy idled down to have a similar encounter (showing off for the women as well), and my buddy got all his decal information. TWRA was glad to give him a ticket.

Is there such thing as "fishermen harassment"? Seems to me that there were some pretty major rules of the road that didn't get followed.

Stumpsitter

Buddy of mine was fishing a couple of years ago and had an idiot on a jet ski with a boat following him pull about some of the same stuff. It didn't go quite like your's.
The guy on the jet ski got real brave and ran up and tried to board my buddies boat. Needless to say he got his chicklets broke loose, ended up in the water on his back.
The boat pulled up to help their friend that was in the water. They , 2 guys and a girl proceeded to run off at the mouth , until my buddy pulled his .45 and he asked if they wanted some of that?
They decided it was time to leave.
He said he never goes on the river without a pistol.
That's a shame that it's come to that these days.

Latest posts