Idiots on the lake

7mm08

If only…..
1656766815885.jpeg

Mag

2-Step Enabled
When I had my boat we stayed away from the lake on weekends or holidays because that's when the amateur drunks are on the water. :)

CliffordN

I took three friends out on my boat, on Percy Priest last Friday. As we were passing one of the islands at about 35 MPH, a ski boat cut right in front of my bow with a skier in tow. There was no observer in the boat, and he could have easily just gone behind me. As you said, IDIOTS!
I cut hard left and managed to miss the skier, but everyone on my boat had big eyes!

cowhunter71

I saw this video yesterday and couldn't believe it. Id suggest watching on mute due to some language at the beginning. No confrontation but there sure would have been afterwards if it happened to me!! Careless idiots out there.

At 45yrds I would have "opened up" on them with 00 buck from my trusty sawed off 500 "boat gun" ;)

Gravey

What lake?
Tennessee River in Decatur county

Back to the original post…tons of folks on the lakes are clueless. The majority of my time on the lake is with my wife and yes we're on one of those awful wake boats. It's actually more of a crossover but we mainly ski and wake board with a little surfing built in. My head is on a swivel all the time unless we're anchored in a cove out of the way. Pleasure boaters, fishing boats, jet skis…each group has their fair share of douchebags. Glad you kept your cool Josh and it worked out!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
TWRA officers monitor marine radio channel 17 and can also be contacted through the regional TWRA dispatcher at the toll-free number. I know they had officers out on all major bodies of water. Not sure what region you were in. The way I see it. You very well could be saving someone's life completely unknown to your self. A hand held walkie Talkie most likely could have got someone there pretty quickly.

CliffordN

What drives me nuts is that, with all of the open water, so many will come as close as they can to another vessel. Forget them knowing navigational rules. They are either trying to jump your wake, or trying to avoid it by cutting in front of you. But, either way, you get a close up view! I had two jet skiers come right at me the other morning splitting on both sides. I was waving them off from 150 yards away, but I swear they were too busy looking at each other till the last few seconds. I had already told everyone to hold on cause I fully expected a collision.

CliffordN

I expect this out of lake lice (pleasure boaters and jet ski riders) but even the fishermen are getting bad. I was at Kentucky Lake a week ago. Friday morning I get to my first spot. Start pulling crankbaits for crappie. Some assmonkey blows by me 30 yards away, pulls right into my path, shuts it down, cranks his radio up, and starts getting his rods out. If they required an IQ test and a score above 50 to launch, I believe 90% of boat owners would have to take up golf.
They run over big brightly colored planer boards all of the time.

TNReb

I saw this video yesterday and couldn't believe it. Id suggest watching on mute due to some language at the beginning. No confrontation but there sure would have been afterwards if it happened to me!! Careless idiots out there.

Holy crap. I would NOT have remained calm in that situation. I would have spent the night in jail because I would have beat the absolute piss out of that driver.

Headhunter

Wake boats are a problem. Bad part is they don't even have to be close to you. I know many in bass boats run wide open, and yes the large wakes can be a major issue for them but the worst part about the wakes from wake boats is they are an issue for EVERYONE. And they can be a danger even to someone a half a mile away. I saw wake boats on Priest yesterday (never even got close to me, not remotely close) but you had to be ready when the waves from the wake boats showed up. Those "rollers" can easily throw someone overboard and even at 25 or 30 mph can cause an accident or even worse a death. Ski boats, jet skis, etc. can run all around me (stay outside of casting distance) and they don't bother my fishing at all this time of year, actually they help it most of the time. The wake boats are just a bad thing IMO and beyond dangerous. As far as I know, ALL boat owners are responsible for the wakes created by their boats and any damage they cause. Just wish that was enforced.

WTM

Wake boats are a problem. Bad part is they don't even have to be close to you. I know many in bass boats run wide open, and yes the large wakes can be a major issue for them but the worst part about the wakes from wake boats is they are an issue for EVERYONE. And they can be a danger even to someone a half a mile away. I saw wake boats on Priest yesterday (never even got close to me, not remotely close) but you had to be ready when the waves from the wake boats showed up. Those "rollers" can easily throw someone overboard and even at 25 or 30 mph can cause an accident or even worse a death. Ski boats, jet skis, etc. can run all around me (stay outside of casting distance) and they don't bother my fishing at all this time of year, actually they help it most of the time. The wake boats are just a bad thing IMO and beyond dangerous. As far as I know, ALL boat owners are responsible for the wakes created by their boats and any damage they cause. Just wish that was enforced.
down around perryville is dangerous as ****.

Latest posts