Idaho is a BUST!!!

Timberdoodle

I returned from Idaho saturday evening at around 9:30 PM. First off, let me say that it is beautiful country, and as far as just getting away from everything, it was the trip of a lifetime.

However, I will never go on a guided hunt again that I do not research myself. My partner done all he could to ensure a good guide,etc. and it still turned out to be a nightmare.

We packed in a day later than we were told that we would. Our outfitter did not even have water in base camp!! We had to filter our own for most of the trip.

We saw and passed on several 5x5's the first two days that we were there because we saw some really good bulls when glassing and had the better part of two weeks to connect on one of them. We made it clear to our guide that we would rather go home empty handed than take a small bull.

First two days were perfect weather. 18 @ night and a high of around 40. The third day it hit 70 and every day after that it was 70 to 80 for a high. It was still around 20 at night, but too hot for the elk to be moving after daylight. They were high and in the timber.

I finally got a shot at a bull the day before we were to leave. It was right at dark and my guide told me that he was sure that it was a NICE 5x5. I put the beast down, only to watch my guide throw his hat on the ground and start cussing when he reached my trophy. I had passed two bulls larger than this ine the previous day!! It was a 3x4. Yeah this trip doesn't get any better. It is well after dark when we finish taking care of the elk and our guide loses his bearings and can not find the horses. I told him that we had no chance of finding the horses when we had no idea where we were either. I told him that I was building a fire and seeing the night thru. We could get our bearings when the sun came up to identify the sky line. He decided that that was probably best.

SOOO, I got no sleep that night. Got to base camp the next day, packed the elk out and then packed out to the trailhead and went to the meat processor with the elk. Got a room and 7hrs. sleep and headed home after picking up the meat.
I drove straight home. Only stopped for gas and potty breaks and hung in there for the 29 hours home. If you are not keeping up, I had 7 hours sleep in four days, but I made it.

Good points are that I got to see a lot of beautiful country and met two of the nicest country folks that you could have imagined. This gentleman and his father showed up in camp the second night and we really hit it off. Come to find out he owned a meat processing plant. He took care of my elk and done the best job that I have ever seen done processing wild game. Brats, sausage, summer sausage, pepperoni's, jerky... I got it all and over night too!!! First class operation and great people,too!! Hope to be friends for a long time. That in itself is worth the whole trip.
Idaho263-1.jpg

Idaho054.jpg

Idaho387.jpg

Idaho464.jpg

Idaho412.jpg

Idaho254.jpg

Idaho071-1.jpg

Idaho031.jpg

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
Tough trip in many ways. How did the meat processor get all the jerky, sausage, etc done overnight? Every western meat processor I have dealt with personally on a quick turn, overnight job does NOT give you the meat you brought in.

I hope you got lucky but really, are there guys working all night long at his meat shop? Dang, what an ordeal with those horses. A quick GPS fix on them and you would have been back in business. See any wolves, bear or big muleys?

4onaside

You are being kind Chippewa, ASKING about the meat. lol With all of those special processed items, jerky, pepperoni, brats, summer sausage, etc. processed and picked up overnight, you may have come home with some great meat, no reason to think that you did not. However, it ain't the elk that you carried in! Most processors that I have seen out there, will even have that in their ads, "if you're in hurry, we will swap, summer sausages, etc."

Timberdoodle

This guy has a 47 person work crew and works 24/7 for the main 4 months of his rush. The rest of the year he lets his workers handle most of it and takes it easy. First class operation. I watched them debone and get started on my meat the minute I got it there, AT 11:15 PM!!

ChippewaPartners said:
Tough trip in many ways. How did the meat processor get all the jerky, sausage, etc done overnight? Every western meat processor I have dealt with personally on a quick turn, overnight job does NOT give you the meat you brought in.

I hope you got lucky but really, are there guys working all night long at his meat shop? Dang, what an ordeal with those horses. A quick GPS fix on them and you would have been back in business. See any wolves, bear or big muleys?

4onaside

Timberdoodle said:
This guy has a 47 person work crew and works 24/7 for the main 4 months of his rush. The rest of the year he lets his workers handle most of it and takes it easy. First class operation. I watched them debone and get started on my meat the minute I got it there, AT 11:15 PM!!

ChippewaPartners said:

I am certainly not doubting you in any way, because its your deal and it is what it is. However, point of info, and that only, my Colorado guy who does a marvelous job on antelope and I presume deer and elk, although I have only had antelope done, will not touch an animal for two days(they hang it in their cooler for ageing). It seems like your overall hunt was great, in spite of the drawbacks that you mention. A lot of us have ultimately killed smaller animals than ones we have passed on earlier in the hunt. I think that just goes with the territory. At any rate, we enjoyed your account of your hunt and the pictures.

megalomaniac

Glad you had a good time, sorry about the negative experiences on your first hunt, though.

I would have been PISSED if the guide told you to shoot a bull he knew you would have been disappointed to take. A guide should be able to field judge game better than the average eastern hunter, after all that's what they are paid to do. Same thing happened to me stag hunting in Argentina a few years ago.

Now that you've gotten your feet wet and are over the intimidation factor, you'll have the guts to do a DIY hunt next year. Eating tag soup is more tolerable if you know that the only one to blame is yourself. Plus any elk you take DIY will seem more like a trophy.

Timberdoodle

Hope to do a self trip in a couple of years. This next years vacation will be completely a family thing!!

megalomaniac said:
Glad you had a good time, sorry about the negative experiences on your first hunt, though.

I would have been PISSED if the guide told you to shoot a bull he knew you would have been disappointed to take. A guide should be able to field judge game better than the average eastern hunter, after all that's what they are paid to do. Same thing happened to me stag hunting in Argentina a few years ago.

Now that you've gotten your feet wet and are over the intimidation factor, you'll have the guts to do a DIY hunt next year. Eating tag soup is more tolerable if you know that the only one to blame is yourself. Plus any elk you take DIY will seem more like a trophy.

Unicam

Steve, the pics are awesome and I am glad you got to bring home some Elk steaks, they are awesome!! I would be interested in getting the three Amigos together for an out west or up north hunt in a couple years....we need to talk if interested!

Timberdoodle

Unicam said:
Steve, the pics are awesome and I am glad you got to bring home some Elk steaks, they are awesome!! I would be interested in getting the three Amigos together for an out west or up north hunt in a couple years....we need to talk if interested!

We need to talk about it. What about the Amigo's getting together for some elk steaks for now?

Latest posts