I found a new reason not to shoot young bucks

Bone Collector

If you remember in my other post "the good ole days of deer hunting" I said, I was going to take my 5 year old son hunting this season for his first time. I also stated if we saw a deer and he said, shoot I would. Every time we go to our property and I have a gun he asks if we see a deer will you shoot it. If it is in season I tell him yes.

Tonight I was going to head out myself around 2:30. The rain had tapered and I figured why not. I tell him I am going and he throws a fit, because he wants to go. I was unsure, because I knew it could start raining again, and even though we have a shooting house i knew it leaked some and I didn't want him getting wet and having a bad time. I finally decided ok, I'll take him and decided to wait until 3:30 to leave, so we could sit from 4-4:50 or so. I figured he could make it that long. On the way I told him we may not see any, because you aren't guaranteed to see any. We got in the house about 4 and I told him where the deer would most likely come from. Well literally withing 30 seconds of me telling him where they would come from a 4 pt walks out. I tell him there is a deer and I asked do you see him. He says yes. I ask, do you want me to shoot him and he said, no. I said, are sure and he says YES loudly. I said, hey that deer is looking at you cause he can hear you. The deer just starts walking again into the sage grass which is above my waist (i'm 6' 2") and I can't really see him except his head. . I then see a spike come out. I said, there is another one do you want me to shoot him. He says, no again. At this point I am confused so I asked why? He says, they're too cute..... :? :? :roll: I said, are you serious and he says YES the spike is looking at us now. He does the same as the 4 pt and just walks over to the other side.

I will say this. those bucks went into the thicket where deer chase normally on my property and guess what. about 20 minutes later here they come running a doe fawn all over the power line... First chase I've seen all year long. I asked do you want me to shoot one. Again, NOOOO all the deer pause to look at us, then back to the chase. :lol:

I only had to tell him to be quiet 75 times in 50 minutes, but he stayed up there and never asked to leave. I asked if he had fun and he said, yes. I told him we have to work on his desire to shoot deer. He said, ok. We'll see what happens next time.

Rjratliff1975

Good story. I can relate. I have 2 kids. A daughter and son, 10 and 8 they love the outdoors and wildlife, but have no desire to hunt. I take them hiking and wildlife watching every chance I get. They love it! At least they are enjoying the outside. I usually hunt alone or occasionally with my brother.

duckduck84

That's hilarious. I have 2 nephews and he sounds like the oldest one. The youngest would be like "SHOOT IT UNCLE DUCK DUCK SHOOT IT NOW!"

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Bone Collector

cbhunter":4wlm1sfs said:
Awesome story bud. What if a 150 would have walked out and he said it was tooo cute!?!?! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I covered that with him and told him I had to shoot if big one came out and he said, ok. He likes to hold all the deer that I shoot when I bring them home, so he would have been ok. I think it has more to do with he still does not like the noise of the rifle. Once he is around it more, then he'll get used to it and realize it is not that scary.

Latest posts