I found a bunch and tasted them...

CliffordN

The deer are eating another acorn, but there are a bunch of these falling. I tasted them and they were not bitter, more like a green peanut...
Chestnut Oak? I figure they will be after these before long...
chestnutoak.jpeg

BSK

Chinkipin. In the white oak family, but quite tasty to me. I've eaten a bunch on stand back when I used to bowhunt TN. Deer LOVE them as much as the swamp chestnut acorns you were used to hunting in MS. Find a hot tree and it's a slam dunk for filling the freezer
Just be careful. The tannic acid can make you sick. That's why Native Americans boiled the pulp before using it for anything - to get rid of the tannic acid.

TRHC

Size reference would help. Looks more like a chestnut oak than chinkapin to me. If it were chinkapin, the deer wouldn't be eating the other acorns and leaving these. Chinkapin oak acorns should look "fuzzy" as well.

CliffordN

Size reference would help. Looks more like a chestnut oak than chinkapin to me. If it were chinkapin, the deer wouldn't be eating the other acorns and leaving these. Chinkapin oak acorns should look "fuzzy" as well.
It is about 3/4 inch long and 9/16ths diameter...

philsanchez76

Looks like a Chinkapin. The leaves on these are not typical oak shaped leaves. They are like a sawtooth pattern.

Mountain chestnuts have never been desirable to any of the deer in my area.

Latest posts