HUNTING TIMES

Ski

Depends on location but usually I prefer evenings. Deer don't have to travel much in early season to find food, so it's not often I find a spot to intersect them on their way back to bed in mornings. When I do I'll hunt mornings. Otherwise they bed so close to food that they're already up & feeding before daylight, and I spook them on my way in.

philsanchez76

I always try some mornings here and there and sometimes im successful. But it does seem like I blow out a ton of deer because they are all still on the fields. Once the beans dry up and acorns start falling, they're spread out more and morning access gets easier.

Swampster

I don't hunt late, since I hunt alone, I don't want to track or process at night. I will sometimes hunt right into sundown, but won't take a shot unless I have at least an hour to thirty minutes (minimum) of light left.
I'm with you. I don't want to be looking for a deer in the dark. I don't really feel like messing with a dead deer at the end of the day either. Guess I'm just getting old. I prefer to harvest in the first hour or two of daylight, field dress on the spot, then get the tractor and push it into the front-end loader. Everything cut up, refrigerated, and mess cleaned up before noon - in time for a nap.

14deerhunter

Anytime I can get in the woods… haha really I love both I've killed my biggest deer in the afternoons but I love the feelings both morning and afternoon!

East TN Bowhunter

I have been seeing more activity the last month in the afternoons. I have never ran trail cams until this year and its showing me the afternoons are way better times to hunt than morning. I have always hunted mornings more in the past. Awesome what trail cams can teach you.

Lost Lake

In the early season? Why so? That's a different perspective than the norm. I'm interested to hear more about why, if you don't mind sharing.
Sure!

Over the years in early bow season on our place, we've noticed much better deer movement during the cool mornings. That's the primary reason no matter where I hunt in early season without row crops. Afternoons aren't as good for us, primarily because of heat, and food sources. Our place was timbered in 2015, and almost all mature acorn bearing oaks were taken.

There is some row cropping around our place, and it's a good early season draw for the hunters on those farms during afternoons. We get deer traffic during morning hours on the way back from feeding is my guess.

Later in October, through December, they love our place at anytime of the day. We've got tons of good browse, and the most unbelievable thickets because of the growth from timbering. It's almost gotten to the point of not bow hunting it because they always run into those grown up areas after a shot, and if a blood trail is sparse, it's tough. It has to be seen to be believed as far as these thickets go.

With rifle and muzzleloader, it's high shoulder shots and anchor them right now.

Last edited:

Latest posts