Hunting Spot with Night Pics Only

UTGrad

I have a stand in a spot that had daytime pics in October into first of November, but its gone completely nocturnal since. I have not particularly over hunted this spot and have been mindful of my entry, exit and wind direction. I now have reservations hunting the spot because the last time I sat, I had a deer 15 minutes before legal move through and leave.

Anyone have a spot that goes cold/nocturnal as season progresses? I hate to see this spot be a bust but that's deer hunting I guess.

philsanchez76

assuming this is private? so you know what hunting pressure is in there right? I had a few amazing spots finally go cold because the white oaks finally ran out. I was getting 100s of pics per day and night and now 1 or 2 raccoons. Zero deer. They've moved on to the red oaks which are WAYYYYY more numerous out here. My guess would be their food source in the area changed (if its not hunting pressure related).

UTGrad

assuming this is private? so you know what hunting pressure is in there right? I had a few amazing spots finally go cold because the white oaks finally ran out. I was getting 100s of pics per day and night and now 1 or 2 raccoons. Zero deer. They've moved on to the red oaks which are WAYYYYY more numerous out here. My guess would be their food source in the area changed (if its not hunting pressure related).

Yes private and I'm the only pressure in this spot.

BSK

It could be any number of things. Bucks can travel a long way and perhaps the bucks are reacting to hunting pressure nearby. Or, does on a neighboring property may have come into heat at a different time than your local does. And as philsanchez76 mentioned, food sources may have changed. After this big rain, I expect a lot of the white oak acorns on the ground will go to root. This will switch the deer to red oak acorns, which may be in a different location than the whites.

Bone Collector

I have a stand in a spot that had daytime pics in October into first of November, but its gone completely nocturnal since. I have not particularly over hunted this spot and have been mindful of my entry, exit and wind direction. I now have reservations hunting the spot because the last time I sat, I had a deer 15 minutes before legal move through and leave.

Anyone have a spot that goes cold/nocturnal as season progresses? I hate to see this spot be a bust but that's deer hunting I guess.
I'm gonna go with what Phil Sanchez said. It's probably somewhat food related, and even on private, people usually hunt the properties that are around your property and that can screw things up. Of course whether you shoot or not, as pressure picks up deer become more sensitive to human presence, which you are providing every time you go assuming you've been hunting there

Ski

I have a stand in a spot that had daytime pics in October into first of November

Not coincidence that this is happening during leaf fall. Once leaves have fallen deer have much less security cover. They still visit the spots they like but only under cover of darkness. Good thing is that heavy cover isn't everywhere so when you find it you'll likely find the deer. Bad thing is you have to find it.

Time of night you're seeing the deer on cam is a good indicator of how far away they're living. If right at dark then they're not far away. If you're not seeing them until hours after dark then you might have a hard time finding them in daylight because they're a good distance away.

deerhunter10

Generally what we have noticed on those spots, is cover, food, and pressure changes them. Most of the time is cover and pressure. On low mass crop year we notice it to where they are moving a lot to find food. It doesn't take much pressure at all to change deer especially deer that get hunted a lot by you and neighbors. Also as said before when the woods start to defoliate it changes them as well. We have also had to tweak our stands some if it's been in a particular tree for a while.

Latest posts