Hunting Socks

ngpirtle

Need some recommendations for the best cold weather hunting socks?? Prefer 100% wool but having a hard time finding what i'm looking for. Any advice on particular brands or where to shop?

AllOutdoors

Cabelas....Deluxe Cold Weather Sock. If you have a good hike before you get to your stand..... Cabelas Ingenious Boot sock.

archer19

AllOutdoors said:
Cabelas....Deluxe Cold Weather Sock. If you have a good hike before you get to your stand..... Cabelas Ingenious Boot sock.

X2
Wader socks from candles are the same as the deluxe cold weather and they go above knee. Great socks., thick, and comfy

lefthandluke

My girl just bought me a set of marino wool socks from REI. I have not taken them off in 3 days. Most comfy and warm things. Going to order me another pair.

Backwudz

lefthandluke said:
My girl just bought me a set of marino wool socks from REI. I have not taken them off in 3 days. Most comfy and warm things. Going to order me another pair.
I think I'd take 'em off long enough to take a shower anyways...LOL

FULLDRAWXX75

LSUtigers said:
Alloutdoors recommended a great sock; only addition to that would be a pair of their liner socks, the two together work great for me.

Ditto...........being from the the northern part of the country, I hunt in my fair share of cold weather. I have found that wearing a pair of polypro sock liners and a good quality pair of wool socks is the ticket.

A good boot is the second half of the equation. Muck boots (Woody Elite's) are great down to @ 20 degs. if I am sitting, below that it is Sorel pack boots.

FDXX75

Boone 58

ngpirtle said:
Need some recommendations for the best cold weather hunting socks?? Prefer 100% wool but having a hard time finding what i'm looking for. Any advice on particular brands or where to shop?

You can Find 85% merino wool which is almost itch free and i never hunt without them. Rocky makes them but check the label for you can find them in all varying %'s of merino wool It is the finest hunting sock in my opinion.

WMAn

Poser said:
I like Smartwool socks as well as the Under Armor socks.

Poser and others,

Help me settle a debate I have been having with myself.

Why should I spend more (twice as much) on Smartwool socks instead of just buying REI wool socks?

trealtree

camoman270 said:
ngpirtle said:

You can Find 85% merino wool which is almost itch free and i never hunt without them. Rocky makes them but check the label for you can find them in all varying %'s of merino wool It is the finest hunting sock in my opinion.

x3 I wear swiftwicks www.swiftwick.com They are not geared for hunters but the 7" "pursuits" are what I wear. I have worn them for 10 days straight at work with no odor at all. I have not worn them in bitter cold , but they work good down to the lower 30 degree range.

Also read about how they are made. They are Best quality in the industry.

benellivol

WMAn said:
Poser said:
I like Smartwool socks as well as the Under Armor socks.

Poser and others,

Help me settle a debate I have been having with myself.

Why should I spend more (twice as much) on Smartwool socks instead of just buying REI wool socks?

I can't help you there. The in-laws get me a few pair of smartwools every year for Christmas.

benellivol

trealtree said:
camoman270 said:
ngpirtle said:

x3 I wear swiftwicks www.swiftwick.com They are not geared for hunters but the 7" "pursuits" are what I wear. I have worn them for 10 days straight at work with no odor at all. I have not worn them in bitter cold , but they work good down to the lower 30 degree range.

You wore one pair of socks for 10 straight days or am I reading that wrong?

trealtree

benellivol said:
trealtree said:
camoman270 said:
ngpirtle said:

You wore one pair of socks for 10 straight days or am I reading that wrong?

Yes. No odor, Merino Wool is naturally antimicrobial. I would not think of trying that with cotton.

DntBrnDPig

I have bought a dozen merino wool socks from CamoFire.com for $4-6/pair (depending on the deal). They are made by Lorpen and you really can wear them for multiple days in a row. My wife even likes them.

It's the same with the Core 4 Element Merino wool base layers. They are incredibly warm and super thin. 100% merino wool.

DntBrnDPig

Strangley enough, CamoFire.com has Merino Wool socks on right now. It's around 9:36 am EST and it will be going till 1:30 unless they sell out.

93civEJ1

DntBrnDPig said:
I have bought a dozen merino wool socks from CamoFire.com for $4-6/pair (depending on the deal). They are made by Lorpen and you really can wear them for multiple days in a row. My wife even likes them.

It's the same with the Core 4 Element Merino wool base layers. They are incredibly warm and super thin. 100% merino wool.

x2. I wear the lorpen that I get on camofire.

Boone 58

I always find Rocky's in 85% Merino.....i keep several pair around but only wear one.....some folks do two but not me.