Hunting near bait question.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

The law says no hunting within 250 yard radius of a known bait site. Does this mean that if a person has an "anti hunting" neighbor that feeds deer next to the property boundary that the hunter is not allowed to hunt on his own land due to the neighbors antics?

UCStandSitter

The law says no hunting within 250 yard radius of a known bait site. Does this mean that if a person has an "anti hunting" neighbor that feeds deer next to the property boundary that the hunter is not allowed to hunt on his own land due to the neighbors antics?
Seems like a question for your local GW to me. That'd be the only answer I would trust.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
If you kill one dump the remains near the fence so their dogs drag the bones/carcass in their yard, and hopefully the wind blows that way.

shopson

I had similar situation on a piece of land I turkey hunted on. Roughly 15 years after I had been hunting this property neighbors put up a feeder within 50 yards of the boundary. i never quit hunting the property and if I got ticketed I would have gone to court and win or lose my defense was going to be I never saw or heard that feeder dispense and the only way I could see if feed was on the ground was to trespass and that's against the law

Mattt

Actually it's exactly what it means. Burns like 40 acres. Dealt with this before and also used this to get rid of a tresspasser

Mattt

It would seem cut and dry. I think alotmore would have to come into play and it would really depend on Leo. Doesn't seem right for a neighbor to cockblock a landowner but I've had guys that hunt the property line and told them it was baited and they still shoot everything that moves and never ever not once came to me and tried to recover lost game. I'd finde dead deer T least 8-10 a year with the bush hog all facing the same way 100 yards from the line.. that's a bigger crime in my opinion considering they had a 100 acre lease with 4-5 guys. I'd give a deer up to be eaten by someone else before I let it go to waste

megalomaniac

When a neighbor hung a 50g trashcan feeder full of corn on my line, I was told by the GW I could not hunt on my own line within 500y of the feeder (the law back then wasn't cut and dry 250y from a feeder). It was left up to GW discretion. I was PISSED! Since then, I just let the neighbors know I found their feeder, it's illegal and would be a shame if the GW found it. The neighbors always get scared I would turn them in, so they pull their feeder, and I get to hunt my entire property:) if you are going to bait, please do it 250y away from your neighbors so it only affects you, not others.

@fulldraw

The law says? Where is it written about the laws for baiting in TN? I've read the TCA codes and no where, other than the hunting guide, does it mention the removal of bait within 10 days of hunting. Also, where does it state the 250 yds limitation?

I'm just curious as I don't deer hunt private land in TN.

BSK

When a neighbor hung a 50g trashcan feeder full of corn on my line, I was told by the GW I could not hunt on my own line within 500y of the feeder (the law back then wasn't cut and dry 250y from a feeder). It was left up to GW discretion. I was PISSED! Since then, I just let the neighbors know I found their feeder, it's illegal and would be a shame if the GW found it. The neighbors always get scared I would turn them in, so they pull their feeder, and I get to hunt my entire property:) if you are going to bait, please do it 250y away from your neighbors so it only affects you, not others.
I generally don't care what my neighbors do. If they want to break the law and hunt illegally, that's on them. Just don't do it in front of me. But while walking my property line I find their huge pile of corn and open 5 lb jar of peanut butter poured right on the property, it becomes my problem. As you stated, I know the bait is there and now can't hunt on my own property for a 250 yard radius of the bait. So I called the game warden and turned them in. That has not made for good neighborly relations, but I can now hunt my property again!

scn

The law says? Where is it written about the laws for baiting in TN? I've read the TCA codes and no where, other than the hunting guide, does it mention the removal of bait within 10 days of hunting. Also, where does it state the 250 yds limitation?

I'm just curious as I don't deer hunt private land in TN.
As you have seen, it is not written into the law. The 250 yd radius deal is a TWRA Enforcement Procedure on how they are going to enforce the statute that deals with baiting. The procedure was done to try to get some consistency on how the statute was going to be enforced. Before the procedure there was a WIDE range of interpretations on how to enforce the baiting statute. I think the procedure has helped a great deal, but, it isn't perfect.

Last edited:

scn

If you want to know for sure, contact your local officer. But, be prepared to deal with whatever he/she tells you.

Personally, as an officer, I had zero use for people spite baiting. I more than likely would have told you to hunt wherever you wanted on your land and to he66 with your neighbor.

Another officer might not feel the same. And, there were some situations where it became pretty apparent that the complaining hunter was the one that had dumped the corn across the fence and then blamed the neighbor hoping that he would be told he could hunt over it.

So, there is no perfect answer.

@fulldraw

As you have seen, it is not written into the law. The 250 yd radius deal is a TWRA Enforcement Procedure on how they are going to enforce the statute that deals with baiting. The procedure was done to try to get some consistency on how the statute was going to be enforced. Before the procedure there was a WIDE range of interpretations on how to enforce the baiting statute. I think the procedure has helped a great deal, but, it isn't perfect.
That makes sense. A buddy received permission to hunt a small tract recently. He found that the neighbor had a feeder near the property line. He contacted the region office and whoever he talked to couldn't give him an answer about baiting enforcement. He was told the local GW would give him a call but he never heard back.

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm just curious as I don't deer hunt private land

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-222509_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-222509_Chrome.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 80

I figured if it said it in the guide and on tn.gov that meant it was the law. I'm probably wrong, I usually am but I bet a feller gets a citation for it. I reckon That means its law.

It is not my job to police all the neighbors around me to find out if they are feeding deer. That would require me to trespass on their property and I will not do that.
Completely understand that... I'm just presenting a hypothetical scenario in which the anti hu ti g neighbor baited within a few yards of a boundary just to disrupt the legal hunting of others.