Hunting near bait question.

huvrman

Many years ago in MS I had a guy put up a feeder about 20 yards on the other side of my property line. Now you have to understand this was located at least 5 miles from the nearest main road when accessed on his side of the line. I called the local warden and told him I didn't want to get caught hunting over it, since the warden probably didn't know where the lines ran with any certainty. And I also didn't appreciate not being able to hunt my own property for fear of getting caught over the other guys feeder. He asked if he could come through my property to check the site, and said I might just see him on opening day. Opening day rolls around and I'm sitting in a ladder about 100 yards from the feeder. In comes the guy from the other side of the line, who climbs into his shooting house not 10 yards from the feeder. 10 minutes later the warden, on a 4 wheeler, rides directly under my stand and heads straight to the shooting house. After a few words, the warden comes back through. Seems he gave the guy a warning, made him get all the corn up, made him take the feeder out, and said he'd be back to check. The guy proceeded to clean it all up, and I never saw him the rest of the season. I'm sure that dude never thought he would get caught being that far back in the woods…

Tom Collins

The 250 yards is more of a guideline too, I know a guy that got busted for hunting bait at closer to 500 on corn remnants from months ago.

Latest posts