Hunting in High Wind

Bobyote

Well, I'm still looking for that big one like most of us and after hunting all weekend with no luck I'm already checking the weather for next weekend. Saturday in Middle Tennessee its supposed to super windy. Not my favorite way to hunt- anybody ever have any luck on those 10mph plus days where the trees are swinging and you can't hear a thing all day but swoooosshhhhh....

cbhunter

overall, I think high wind is not good at all. with that being said, I killed one of my biggest bucks on Dec 16th 2008 with wind blowing 15+. gusts up to 25. My partner also shot at and missed one a couple minutes before I killed. we were still hunting. Best time to still hunt

bigtex

The only time I've had any luck "still hunting" is when it's raining or the wind is howling. Shot an 8 point during the M/L season on a windy day while still hunting.

PillsburyDoughboy

High wind I get up and still hunt. Hunt a lot of bottoms and parts of the property I might not otherwise hunt.

Winchester

PillsburyDoughboy":tehec62w said:
High wind I get up and still hunt. Hunt a lot of bottoms and parts of the property I might not otherwise hunt.
Good advice, I too use whats given and get on the move!

Mike Belt

Typically under normal circumstances outside the rut, extremely high winds curtail much deer movement. Once the rut kicks in you can throw that scenario out the window. Does running from bucks could pop up in front of you at any given time. I've seen them standing with their tales being blow sideways to their bodies because the winds were so high.

Latest posts