Hunting Farm With Cows

BSK

I agree with BSK assessments. My dad had a hobby farm of 25 acres with cattle. No deer to be seen. When he finally got rid of the cattle, the deer moved in immediately.
Much depends on the stewardship of cattle. If they are kept at density well below what the land can support, you won't see the cattle wiping out all the resources. However, that's not what I see often. My most common experience with farms that allow cattle free-range everywhere is forests that are biological deserts. Even in high summer there won't be a sprig of anything green below 5 feet in the woods.

BigAl

Much depends on the stewardship of cattle. If they are kept at density well below what the land can support, you won't see the cattle wiping out all the resources. However, that's not what I see often. My most common experience with farms that allow cattle free-range everywhere is forests that are biological deserts. Even in high summer there won't be a sprig of anything green below 5 feet in the woods.
Our farm bounced around from having too many to just the right mix. Even when we let the population drop below the carrying capacity, we managed to cut a little hay, but the deer stayed away.

killingtime 41

Bordered all around my property is a cattle ranch. I lived in the same place for 17 years. And deer seem to always be on edge with cows turned loose. And they do indeed avoid them where they can. I think it's because of all the noise cows make. Find where the cattle don't go on that piece of land. And you'll find where the deer like to bed and feel a little more at ease. Usually a piece with cattle will be rotated in and out of certain areas on a property. So know when and where that is taking place.

knightrider

In addition to BSKs points eating everything vs selectively, soil compaction, erosion, and surface water quality are all negatively affected by cattle.
Wrong, its all negatively affected by the cattle OWNERS who dont know what they are doing and are destroying resources for no cause other than ignorance of how to make the land and cattle work for them not against them

Dbllunger

The only experience I've had with cows and hunting is when I was part of the lease with @Dbllunger. Deer would hightail it out of there when the herd moved in.

I've cussed at more than one cow for walking up behind me at first light 😂 thought it was a 180" buck.
Heck yea, it's happened to me more than I care for. Even still, that place has produced some big mature bucks over the years. Trying to get Pilchard on one and have a spot I really want him to hunt this year. Same spot where the buck in my avatar was killed. It has been an incredible spot for many years. Especially when I figured out the best way to hunt that area.

themanpcl

Have an opportunity to hunt farm that has cows on it. How do the cows affect deer movement? Pros and cons of cows on hunting properties?
You will have some interesting encounters...lol... Nothin like getting into your stand before daylight and then the herd decides they like your spot...30 cows all around your stand and just milling around the field in front of you. Or, back when I used decoys for turkey, watching the curiosity of the cows with the decoys. Personally, I never killed deer or turkey on any of the farms with cows when the herd was close. Pro tip: Dont try to put out minerals...lol or tacking the peanut butter jar to the tree in front of you cam either....

Specializedjon

Heck yea, it's happened to me more than I care for. Even still, that place has produced some big mature bucks over the years. Trying to get Pilchard on one and have a spot I really want him to hunt this year. Same spot where the buck in my avatar was killed. It has been an incredible spot for many years. Especially when I figured out the best way to hunt that area.
He needs all the help he can get (says a guys that never killed a deer there) :confused: It's a beautiful piece of property for sure. Pretty sure I was the first and last to hunt that out of a Subaru 😂

Man I wanted to be able to strap a deer on the hood of that thing and drive back home. Libtard minds would blow up.

Dbllunger

He needs all the help he can get (says a guys that never killed a deer there) :confused: It's a beautiful piece of property for sure. Pretty sure I was the first and last to hunt that out of a Subaru 😂

Man I wanted to be able to strap a deer on the hood of that thing and drive back home. Libtard minds would blow up.
You are a renaissance man my friend. I wanted to see it too. Wish you would have stayed around but then Pilch may have not gotton on. He got your spot....lol.....

I still have a carabiner attached to my backpack that you left out there on paracord to haul up gun and gear from that stand in the woods I shared with you.

Pilchard

I'll be the first to admit I need help... If I need beer drinking advice, I'll reach out to you. For any of my hunting & fishing knowledge I choose a more reputable source.

BTW, a Subaru is far better than what I am hunting out of. I have been parking my Accord at the gate and walking may ass off to turkey hunt.

Snake

The only experience I've had with cows and hunting is when I was part of the lease with @Dbllunger. Deer would hightail it out of there when the herd moved in.

I've cussed at more than one cow for walking up behind me at first light 😂 thought it was a 180" buck.
Hunted a farm in Northern Giles one year and the guy let his horses run wild on the place . Hunting on the backside of a ridge and heard something coming through the woods at a pretty good clip . All of a sudden these big arse horses come running by my stand. Ruined my day for sure . These were those huge Belgium horses .

tnanh

I leased a cattle farm for about 15 years and killed a lot of very nice deer on it. After a while a new farmer got it and put up some hot fences. Areas that used to be hot spots for deer were not very good after that. One thing you have to understand is the cattle operation always takes priority over the deer hunting and because of this the cattle farmer can be a much bigger pain in the butt than the cows ever are.

Specializedjon

I'll be the first to admit I need help... If I need beer drinking advice, I'll reach out to you. For any of my hunting & fishing knowledge I choose a more reputable source.

BTW, a Subaru is far better than what I am hunting out of. I have been parking my Accord at the gate and walking may ass off to turkey hunt.
Deal. @Dbllunger is definitely more reputable in a lot of areas. I'll give him a run for his money drinkin beer though. 😂

Dbllunger

I leased a cattle farm for about 15 years and killed a lot of very nice deer on it. After a while a new farmer got it and put up some hot fences. Areas that used to be hot spots for deer were not very good after that. One thing you have to understand is the cattle operation always takes priority over the deer hunting and because of this the cattle farmer can be a much bigger pain in the butt than the cows ever are.
Very true about cattle farmers being a pain. Fortunately for us, the last 15 years we have had a great relationship with those guys. It's 3 brothers and they have always been great to us and we have always returned the favor. I have hunted places before though that cattle guys were a pain.

Latest posts