How to work a scrape!

BSK

Sometimes they paw at the ground, sometimes they don't. But they almost always mess with the overhanging branch!
I could show you a graph of how often bucks do each of the markings (work overhanging limb, paw out scrape, pee in scrape over their hocks, and pee in scrape NOT over their hocks), by buck age, but I don't want to bore people with data.

LenS

I could show you a graph of how often bucks do each of the markings (work overhanging limb, paw out scrape, pee in scrape over their hocks, and pee in scrape NOT over their hocks), by buck age, but I don't want to bore people with data.
About a third of the bucks that come by this scrape work the ground. Every one of them works the branch. I assume that's normal? I'd actually love to read that data

Ski

Pfft, bore people? Nothing but deer nerds here so bore away!

BSK

About a third of the bucks that come by this scrape work the ground. Every one of them works the branch. I assume that's normal? I'd actually love to read that data
Yes, normal. Mature bucks are the most consistent ground pawers and pee-ers over hocks. Yearlings the least. But all age bucks work the overhanging limb.

puppy

This a scrape that I have ran a camera on for at least the last 7 years, one of the best spots on the entire property to get pics that allow easy aging and antler views.

Latest posts