How to register a boat with no hull id?

SMarshall

I bought a little jon boat yesterday for the river. I am going to put a trolling motor on it so I need to register it. It is an older boat and I can't find a hull id number on it anywhere. How do I go about registering it with no id number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I assume you didn't get a card from the previous owner with a hull id number on it?

I know, stupid question but ya never know. ;)

Bucket

This happened to me several years ago. I explained to the clerk's office there was no hull id, they didn't budge. Finally I just made some numbers up and went to a different person in the office. No problems after that.

SMarshall

Thanks guys. No card with the boat. It's never been registered before. It's an old boat that was used on a farm pond.

pressfit

Bucket":171e6tud said:
This happened to me several years ago. I explained to the clerk's office there was no hull id, they didn't budge. Finally I just made some numbers up and went to a different person in the office. No problems after that.
There you go!! Hahaha!!

woodyard

I had big utility trailer that I was taking out of sate back years ago that had no title or any Id numbers. I wanted to license it and me and a employee in the clerk' s office just made an id number up on the spot. Still got the trailer and title. Not as many numbers as a real mfg id number but it got licensed. :lol:

Now they are a little more particular. Have to get a State trooper to inspect the trailer and he assigns it an id number after you pay the fees and do the paperwork.

I don't know how they would do a boat.

WTM

call the TWRA boating division and tell them the boat doesnt have a HIN and if im remembering correctly they can assign you a new one. if its a boat older than 1972 it probably doesnt have one.

SMarshall

I actually got the boat back out today and found the HIN hiding under one of the handles on the back. Turns out it's a 1974 Starcraft. Thanks for all the info guys!

Latest posts