How to troll ?

hammer33

Looking to learn to troll for walleye/ bass / crappie on Center hill & the cumberland. Primarily crankbaits.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Do I need to use weight? Like snap weights? Keel weights?
What depth of water should I start with?
My boat runs 2.4mph in forward idle. I know that walleye like closer to 1mph. With 2 drift socks off the bow it will get down to 1.1mph but is a booger to steer.
Thanks for any suggestions !

fullstream

I've been learning to troll for walleye this year. Planer boards help to have 3 or 4 per side. I use my trolling motor as we try to run 1.2-1.4. Use bandits in fall & winter and worm harnesses in summer.
I do fish much farther north than you though.

Attachments

• IMG_6223.jpeg
    IMG_6223.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 6

mike243

I only use my electric trolling motor, a gps to track your speed and a fish finder to keep track of what depth the fish are hanging at, then you can start deciding the best way to get your baits to that depth, lead lines bell sinkers etc.

Crow Terminator

If you're gonna be trolling crankbaits, download the Precision Trolling Data app for your phone. It has about every crankbait model known, and how many feet of line you need out to get them to certain depths. I've started using line counter Daiwa reels for my trolling and the app has been spot on for me. It can be boring at times but also certain times when nothing works better.

jlanecr500

I troll at idle for stripers 2.5 to 2.9 mph. When I troll for walleye, I use a trolling plate. It will get your speed down around 1 to 1.5mph at idle. I'm sure you can get the plug down there different ways, with weights, downrigger in deeper lakes, or lead line like I use. For walleye you can get by with the one below. A line counter is nice but the line changes colors every 10 yards so you can count colors.
Amazon product ASIN B001AMH8UW

rsimms

Looking to learn to troll for walleye/ bass / crappie on Center hill & the cumberland. Primarily crankbaits.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Do I need to use weight? Like snap weights? Keel weights?
What depth of water should I start with?
My boat runs 2.4mph in forward idle. I know that walleye like closer to 1mph. With 2 drift socks off the bow it will get down to 1.1mph but is a booger to steer.
Thanks for any suggestions !
So, everybody knows (I hope) that I don't hard-sell. BUT, you might want to consider a walleye fishing trip with my guide partner, Capt. Scott Lillie. He fishes a different type of water (tailwater downstream from Watts Bar Dam), but the principles and techniques are the same. A fishing trip with him, where you can pick his brain, is going to shorten your learning curve my a HUGE amount. Check out our Scenic City Fishing Facebook Page or our SCF Photo Gallery, scroll down and you can see his results.

That said, Capt. Lillie (who only guides on weekends) has only TWO REMAINING DATES open for this year's walleye season. At this writing he is open March 31, 2024 or May 4, 2024. He'll resume his walleye fishing trips in December 2024 (and you can book now if you want).

OK, sales pitch is over. Good luck! We have learned that there is a HUGE fascination, and demand, for catching walleye in Tennessee. Once you figure it out, be ready for folks beating down your door for you to take them.

hammer33

Thanks for all the great replies. Here is the scoop. Because of work, I get to fish very little. Maybe 10 times a year. Since I am always hitting the water blind, I want to learn to troll so I can find fish. Anything that will hit a crank bait. Most of my trips are blindly trying spots where I caught A fish Once upon a time.

A trip with Scenic City is on my list but we haven't put dates together yet.

hammer33

I troll at idle for stripers 2.5 to 2.9 mph. When I troll for walleye, I use a trolling plate. It will get your speed down around 1 to 1.5mph at idle. I'm sure you can get the plug down there different ways, with weights, downrigger in deeper lakes, or lead line like I use. For walleye you can get by with the one below. A line counter is nice but the line changes colors every 10 yards so you can count colors.
J. Tell me about the trolling plate. Does it affect your motor performance when not deployed? I saw some complaints online about them dropping down when in reverse, like backing off a trailer or a hard reverse if coming into a dock too fast. Any issues?

Tenntrapper

Not to hijack, but I have a question.
If trolling tail water, for example, what role does current speed play?
Example... There is a 5mph current speed. Boat is facing upstream. Do you maintain a 1.5 mph upstream gps speed, or hold a -3.5 mph downstream speed...while still facing upstream? If the former...how much does that effect the line distance, bait presentation, etc? Seems like to me, that would have the same effect as "trolling" at 6.5 mph.

jlanecr500

J. Tell me about the trolling plate. Does it affect your motor performance when not deployed? I saw some complaints online about them dropping down when in reverse, like backing off a trailer or a hard reverse if coming into a dock too fast. Any issues?
I have never tried a hard reverse but it's ok at light throttle. It doesn't really effect normal operation. However, I take mine off before our striper season begins in the fall.

You can also drill holes in a 5 gallon bucket and attach it by rope to the front to the boat, allowing it to run along side the boat. You can even have one on each side if one doesn't slow you down enough.

redblood

If you're gonna be trolling crankbaits, download the Precision Trolling Data app for your phone. It has about every crankbait model known, and how many feet of line you need out to get them to certain depths. I've started using line counter Daiwa reels for my trolling and the app has been spot on for me. It can be boring at times but also certain times when nothing works better.
I think i would get bored with it, but i know it can be great for walleye

MidTennFisher

Honestly I think you're overcomplicating it. I troll all the time in my kayak for a variety of species of fish. I set up a rod holder on each side, launch a crankbait or paddletail swim bait on both sides, then just start paddling. I watch my Helix so that I'm a bit more ready to grab a rod when I go over some fish.

Sometimes it gets interesting when I hook into a striper and it pulls me in circles because that can interfere with the other line out. But I catch a lot of fish this way. I have no idea how fast I'm going, but it works.

Edit - Then again, I'm never doing this in water deeper than 20' as trolling big, deep water isn't really that conducive to kayak fishing. So for that really deep water in Center Hill Lake, it might be a bit more complex to do it right.

Last edited:

jlanecr500

Not to hijack, but I have a question.
If trolling tail water, for example, what role does current speed play?
Example... There is a 5mph current speed. Boat is facing upstream. Do you maintain a 1.5 mph upstream gps speed, or hold a -3.5 mph downstream speed...while still facing upstream? If the former...how much does that effect the line distance, bait presentation, etc? Seems like to me, that would have the same effect as "trolling" at 6.5 mph.
Not sure. I would imagine drifting downstream with the trolling motor slowing my drift.
We only troll on the deeper lakes. I catch a few incidental walleye while striper trolling 35 to 50 feet deep. Thing is I don't know they're on until I reel in to check my plug, etc.
A couple years ago a friend of a friend caught a 45lb striper from a kayak but I'd be afraid to troll a kayak at night like that.

mikebomb1

So, everybody knows (I hope) that I don't hard-sell. BUT, you might want to consider a walleye fishing trip with my guide partner, Capt. Scott Lillie. He fishes a different type of water (tailwater downstream from Watts Bar Dam), but the principles and techniques are the same. A fishing trip with him, where you can pick his brain, is going to shorten your learning curve my a HUGE amount. Check out our Scenic City Fishing Facebook Page or our SCF Photo Gallery, scroll down and you can see his results.

That said, Capt. Lillie (who only guides on weekends) has only TWO REMAINING DATES open for this year's walleye season. At this writing he is open March 31, 2024 or May 4, 2024. He'll resume his walleye fishing trips in December 2024 (and you can book now if you want).

OK, sales pitch is over. Good luck! We have learned that there is a HUGE fascination, and demand, for catching walleye in Tennessee. Once you figure it out, be ready for folks beating down your door for you to take them.
Scott is awesome! Can't wait till our February trip with him. We caught our 3 man limit with him last time.

Crow Terminator

I think i would get bored with it, but i know it can be great for walleye
Ahh but when it's 100 degrees...sit up on the front deck with shade umbrella. Rods in the holders and a cold drink...nothing better. Let the boat drive itself and take fish off the hooks. It gets fun when all 6 rods go down at once and each one has a 16 inch white crappie on it.

Creek

It gets fun when all 6 rods go down at once and each one has a 16 inch white crappie on it.
I have never trolled and don't really know the first thing about it, but I have seen them doing it in years past. Ive seen all the rod holders mounted on the sides and back of boats, and soooooo,
Ive always wondered how in the world you keep from getting your lines tangled?? Does it happen on a regular basis?
Or is that the fun part :D

hammer33

I have never tried a hard reverse but it's ok at light throttle. It doesn't really effect normal operation. However, I take mine off before our striper season begins in the fall.

You can also drill holes in a 5 gallon bucket and attach it by rope to the front to the boat, allowing it to run along side the boat. You can even have one on each side if one doesn't slow you down enough.
My main concern is getting the boat off the trailer. Gotta give it a little goose to get it moving on some of the shallow ramps.

Latest posts