How old (kids)

TN Larry

Both my son and daughter killed their first deer at 6. They had the gun on a rest but did all the work (aim, pull the trigger, etc.) themselves. It all depends on the kid and their maturity level. My daughter will be 10 this year and still the only deer that she's killed. She didn't want to hunt at 7 and 8 but hunted quite a bit last year at 9. My son on the other hand will be 13 this year and has killed 24 deer and a few nice bucks.

Volbuck777

TN Larry":iboxd2nb said:
Both my son and daughter killed their first deer at 6. They had the gun on a rest but did all the work (aim, pull the trigger, etc.) themselves. It all depends on the kid and their maturity level. My daughter will be 10 this year and still the only deer that she's killed. She didn't want to hunt at 7 and 8 but hunted quite a bit last year at 9. My son on the other hand will be 13 this year and has killed 24 deer and a few nice bucks.

Cool and good on you for raisin em right sir

Jcalder

Volbuck777":29iacuol said:
Jcalder can your 3 yo hold up a gun and shoot.or are you saying you just want To spend time with them doing what you love. I still go back to what's the rush. I sat in the floor with my 2 yo today and played for 2 hours. I believe I can spend precious time with my kids at a young age at home or the park or anywhere for that matter.
She won't be a shooter until she can work a rifle. Probably at least 2 more years, maybe 3. She'll also have to handle recoil from a 7-08, though I roll my own and can tone it down. The rush is she keeps asking, so why not. We'll sit in a barn and have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volbuck777

Not a dig sir. Just wondering. On a side note my 2 year old wants to drive my truck. Lol. Kids seem to want to do what they're not allowed to. I guess it's just preference of the parent. Jcalder I respect your decision and the way you want to get your kids in the outdoors.

JeepKuntry

My daughter went a couple times last year. She was 8. Still a bit gun shy and we're working with range time and dry fire training. I used a ground blind and a caldwell tripod gun rest. We have no shots on deer yet, hopefully this fall things will work out. I did not start hunting till I was a junior in high school so it's been a learning experience for me trying to make it work for her. I'm willing to wager most younger kids are in shooting houses with rests overlooking fields. Unfortunately that isn't an option in my neck of the woods. I found 1 spot that I might setup on that is off the beaten path overlooking perpendicular logging trails.

Jcalder

Volbuck777":5rirtpru said:
Not a dig sir. Just wondering. On a side note my 2 year old wants to drive my truck. Lol. Kids seem to want to do what they're not allowed to. I guess it's just preference of the parent. Jcalder I respect your decision and the way you want to get your kids in the outdoors.
I didn't take it as a dig. I think we'd agree most kids are rushed to the woods for their parents satisfaction, not their own. But when they ask you make it happen. I have a Caldwell rest I let the kids use. My barn setup has sandbags. We practice. That's probably the biggest thing where parents fail their kids. Get them range time if you want to be a shooter. For a spotter just keep them warm and occupied until the deer show up. For those with high deer density it shouldn't take long. For those of us with low density, me and my oldest have sat many hours across multiple sits and never seen an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volbuck777

Quick story for y'all, I started like most kids. BB guns at birds and then squirrels with dad by 8yo. I killed my first deer ( button buck) when I was 10. It was hard hunting with dad he was old fashioned and was tough on me. I had an old climber ( baker bottom, with some kind of welded top stand with a carpet seat). We'd always get up in twin trees where I was within arms reach but I didn't know what a safety harness was. We always was setup well before daylight and I stayed cold most all the time especially my feet. Lol. I remember the first time walking to the stand by myself in the dark. It was Pulaski Tennessee I'd imagine every deer in the woods heard me running to my stand and see my white light shining towards every little sound. It was also my first bow kill (75 pd doe). I killed every year and by the time I was 14 I had done harvested with my bow, muzzle, and rifle. 9 different deer one being a 150 plus 11 pt. I think back on it and am glad I was started young, and I'm glad ol dad was tough on me. I believe it made me a better hunter. Don't think I'll go the same route with my kids though I'd hate to run them off. Lol. Anyways thought I'd tell a story, by the way I wouldn't change a thing.

MUP

JeepKuntry":1ghamics said:
My daughter went a couple times last year. She was 8. Still a bit gun shy and we're working with range time and dry fire training. I used a ground blind and a caldwell tripod gun rest. We have no shots on deer yet, hopefully this fall things will work out. I did not start hunting till I was a junior in high school so it's been a learning experience for me trying to make it work for her. I'm willing to wager most younger kids are in shooting houses with rests overlooking fields. Unfortunately that isn't an option in my neck of the woods. I found 1 spot that I might setup on that is off the beaten path overlooking perpendicular logging trails.

Hang in there buddy, I had the same conditions trying to get my daughter set up. No fields for us to hunt, never have had one to hunt, just woods. That makes it super tough for a youngun to see deer, being inexperienced, let alone get a shot opportunity. It will happen tho, just keep taking her out. ;)

Volbuck777

MUP":2xf3qhsj said:
JeepKuntry":2xf3qhsj said:

Hang in there buddy, I had the same conditions trying to get my daughter set up. No fields for us to hunt, never have had one to hunt, just woods. That makes it super tough for a youngun to see deer, being inexperienced, let alone get a shot opportunity. It will happen tho, just keep taking her out. ;)

Sound advice mup, and jeepkuntry good luck this upcoming season, I'd like to know the results and how it plays out.

Jmed

all I can say is dont force it on them and keep it fun. You'll know when they are ready to shoot. My oldest (11 now) killed her first at 7 years old. My youngest (now 8 yo) hasn't yet but I think this may be the year. If they get cold, go warm up. If they get bored, head for the truck. Dont make hunting with Dad an obligation or torture, make it an adventure and the minute they quit having fun, throw in the towel.

Latest posts