How old (kids)

Volbuck777

I was watching the pursuit channel and saw a hunt that they take this little girl out. She may be 5 or 6 and of course this absolute beast buck walks up to like 20 yards. She doesn't shoot because of one reason or the other. Anyway dad explains all the reasons that hindered her from the shot, and all I can think is she's a baby. Now before I'm persecuted here by you guys let me say I've got a boy and another one coming. I'm all for kids growing up knowing about the outdoors and I can't wait to get them out there with me. But come on, what's the dang rush. Take them to set up cams, teach them about the trees, let them shoot squirrels with a 4/10. Also I know some kids are more mature than others and that means more than just age but I'm still having trouble understanding the push. I killed my first deer when I was 10 and was very fortunate, because it was my first year hunting. I've been a deer hunter ever since and will say I would be okay with letting all my other hobbies go just to keep deer hunting. But as much as it meant to me then, I don't know that I had the appreciation for it as I do today. Maybe that's something that comes with the more your in the woods, then again maybe it's because I know how hard I hunt and the work I put into killing that wall hanger. Anyway just hope the guys that are letting their 6 year old kids run out in the field and pull a trigger are showing them the work that goes into it and the respect the animal deserves. By the way love to see kids hunt and fish and my property is built so that they're dreams can come true.

MUP

Re: How old

Heck I took my daughter hunting from the time she was 7 I believe, and really didn't get serious until she got to be 10 or so I guess. It was a real challenge just to see a deer with her , but it finally happened 3 seasons ago when she was 12, and what a great day that was! I don't expect her to be wanting to go with ol Dad out into the cold and dark woods soon, but I'm glad I took her the times that I did, just to spend the time with her outdoors. Oh, and she was able to pull the trigger from the get go by herself, and
I wouldn't have had it any other way! The deer she has taken are 100% hers and hers alone, and she can be proud of that the rest of her life! :) I had her shootin' BB guns and .22s early, taking the .30 cal carbine a couple years, then I got her a .243 of her very own, which is what she killed her first deer with along with her first buck. Good times!

Volbuck777

Mup sounds like you done it the right way, although I just can't see me dragging my 7 y/o through the deer woods. Please don't think I'm saying you did it wrong sir. You obviously felt good about where she was on a maturity level. Also what I'm taking from your reply to the post is, it was as much for you as it was her. I looked at the young hunters section on the forum after I posted this and it seems a lot of guys are taking their kids at a young age. I guess maybe my mind will change with time, I've still got a few years till these boys will be big enough. Anyway just wanted to see what the tndeer opinion was.

megalomaniac

I started taking mine hunting in the woods once they were potty trained, about 2.5 to 3 years old. That's the limiting factor in my opinion. No fun to take a diaper bag and change a stinkbomb in the deerstand.

My oldest girl called her first turkey up by herself when she was 3. My son killed his first deer by himself (ofc I was in the stand with him) when he was 6.

Why wouldn't you want to get the kids into the woods as early as possible? Now that being said, be VERY sensitive to the individual child, do NOT force them to sit for hours, and realize that the hunt is about the time together enjoying nature, NOT about killing an animal.

Another example, my oldest started 'deer hunting' with me when she was 3. That consisted of us sitting in a pop up blind on the ground with a coloring book, and me carrying a BB gun. We colored, watched the wildlife, and just enjoyed each other's company until a deer came out. When one did, I would shoot them square in the butt with the BB gun. She thought that was the funniest thing ever. Once she hit 5, I started carrying a rifle and would shoot deer while she was with me. Although she was an excellent marksman, she didn't feel comfortable shooting a deer until she turned 9. And she hunts her way... she's killed several does, but has only shot one buck (she is 18 now)… a 22 ptr that scored 150".

It's important to teach your kids respect and love for the outdoors starting as early as possible. If you don't, they more than likely won't want to hunt when they become teenagers with all the distractions. Doesn't have to be big game... Frog gigging in the summer, squirrel, rabbit, and dove hunting have been as much fun to my kids as deer and turkey.

MUP

Volbuck777":3gjl3dy1 said:
Mup sounds like you done it the right way, although I just can't see me dragging my 7 y/o through the deer woods. Please don't think I'm saying you did it wrong sir. You obviously felt good about where she was on a maturity level. Also what I'm taking from your reply to the post is, it was as much for you as it was her. I looked at the young hunters section on the forum after I posted this and it seems a lot of guys are taking their kids at a young age. I guess maybe my mind will change with time, I've still got a few years till these boys will be big enough. Anyway just wanted to see what the tndeer opinion was.

Yep, just wanted to spend as much time with her as I could, doing something I loved to do, being outdoors, and hoping I could instill in her an appreciation of being out there. I think she's done what she set out to do hunting wise, but I still want to get her close to a dandy buck tho. She can outshoot me, well at least at 100 yds :) and we still go shoot together some. I do believe my special time with her has about passed, and her friends , and boys, will be filling the Dad time in from here on tho. My advice is similar to megas experience, take them as young as you're comfortable taking them, and just enjoy the time, and if you even see a deer, watch their expression and reaction, it will be priceless.

Oh, and her experiences with deer kills was even more priceless, if that's possible. She was so excited, and I let her "track" her deer as well, and videoed it, all 30 yds of it. :D Just a priceless experience.

JCDEERMAN

Glad this was posted. I have a little girl that just turned 3 a couple weeks ago. She is an absolute doll and loves to be outside. I took her to our place back in May to ride around on the Ranger and to catch a few fish. I loaded it up with snacks and drinks and we took off. She had an absolute blast on the "tractor" (Ranger). We were even able to get her to catch 6 bass. My main concern this time of year are snakes, ticks, bug bites and poison ivy. Shes had them all, except for a snake encounter.

As far as hunting goes, I will probably start her out just sitting in shooting houses watching deer. Move on to squirrel hunting, then dove hunting or something a little more exciting - that's what my dad did with me. When he felt I "graduated" and was ready for deer hunting, he would bring a down sleeping bag out with us and he would get up in the tree, while I slept at the foot of the tree. I will not take her to that extent - will probably be more of a fair-weather hunter with her. First thing, I want her to start shooting a .22 to get used to the concept of what we are doing. We have been on hikes and I have shown her deer and turkey tracks, deer and turkey poop. Watching her explain with such enthusiasm about what she found to momma is quite comical :lol:

So far, I think we are going in the right direction....

Volbuck777

Good stories guys I believe y'all are doing it in a good way. I've had this conversation with a lot of people over the years and there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on it. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the idea of letting the kid harvest an animal without them understanding what it's really all about. Such as, I can spat something out about we shoot them for food or we do this to feel a little closer to god by being able to be in his creation. Then they can hear me say it and repeat it. I believe that until they come to understand the respect for the creature and the challenge of what they've done they may not be there mentally. I'll also say I want them to love it as much as me and can't wait to share it with them, but it may be best to hold off until they get a little older. Maybe not. Also I don't know that we should make it a thing of it's easy, well play games and leave stand whenever. I got to believe that while hunting that we're also learning life lessons such as patience. I don't see it being much different than a grown man going and paying thousands to hunt a high fence with 100% success rate. Now everybody has there own preferences and are entitled to their own opinions, these are just mine. I'm very open to hearing from y'all on this and others to. Hope I'm not ruffling feathers.

MUP

My wife had some of the same concerns. She kept telling me that our daughter may not shoot when the chance comes. I totally left it up to her, as it was her hunt basically. She could watch deer, or shoot, her choice. The night before she killed her very first deer, a young doe, she asked me that if she killed one, could she give some of the meat to her friend, who was less fortunate and had asked if her family could have some meat if she got one. Let me tell you, that girl was on a mission that following morning. We watched the doe come down, almost in her line of sight, then turn and come in directly under our stand, and just hang out for a while. I was enjoying the show, but then it dawned on me that this was all new to her, and the very first experience for her having a deer so close while on the hunt, so I glanced over at her and her eyes were wide :D Well the deer turned and headed back in the direction it turned in on us from, and I was just thinking what a great experience we just had, NOT even thinking about her actually wanting to shoot this doe, when I hear CLICK! Safety off! I turn and ask her if she's going to shoot, and she, while still lined up on the scope, just nods slowly! Yes! I tell her to squeeze her best shot, and she did, perfect heart shot, and I watched the doe circle the ridge out about 30 yds and flop. She did the track job and was so proud of her accomplishment, but not near as proud as ol Dad! But I think the most proud I was, was knowing that she was on a mission to help her friend by getting them something to eat. This still brings a tear just remembering that day and all the circumstances. :)

Jcalder

First time my oldest sat by a tree with me she was 4 I believe. Killed her first deer at 9 years old. She's hunted every early juvenile she's been able to. My youngest may hit the woods with me this fall at 3 if things work out good. I have no issue with anyone taking a kid to the woods. I do draw the line when the parents have to hold the gun and the kid pulls the trigger on a juvy hunt. I also don't agree with kids never have pulled a trigger and they head out with the intentions of shooting a deer that day. We train, a lot, year around. Start them on sandbags to build confidence and slowly make it hard until they're hitting targets with no rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volbuck777

Jcalder can your 3 yo hold up a gun and shoot.or are you saying you just want To spend time with them doing what you love. I still go back to what's the rush. I sat in the floor with my 2 yo today and played for 2 hours. I believe I can spend precious time with my kids at a young age at home or the park or anywhere for that matter.

PickettSFHunter

I started taking my boy out the most at 5. That's short hunts though and fair weather. Started with squirrels, then turkey. Hog hunting is his favorite, sitting in a blind at night listening to the sounds and using night vision. Mine is not into deer hunting that much yet, just not enough action.

Westnvol89

Depends on the kids maturity. Better to ease them into at their own pace than just trying to get them to keep up with yours

rtaylor

My oldest daughter started hunting with me when she was 3. Mostly slipping around the woods shooting squirrels. She ended up killing her first deer at 8. My youngest did not have the patience or drive to get out with me at that age and doesn't have the maturity to shoot a deer at 8. She loves to drive the tractor and catch big catfish though. All kids are different in their maturity level at different ages and have different interest. My goal is to get them outside and having fun no matter the activity.

Pilchard

Westnvol89":12k5inmb said:
Depends on the kids maturity. Better to ease them into at their own pace than just trying to get them to keep up with yours

I believe this is sage advice.

I have taken my now 5 year old "squirrel hunting" many times. He doesn't know it but we aren't hunting squirrels at all. We talk about life, nature, you name it. A couple times a squirrel has shown itself and I intentionally "can't get a shot" or "he's too far away"....

We always find things in the woods that captivate his attention. It's likely that this fall I will actually shoot one to see how he reacts and gauge how able he is to process it. I believe taking a life is a big deal- even a squirrel. And that there needs to be some maturity to do so... I also believe that occurs at a wide range of ages in children.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
My 2-1/2 year old and I will watch the YouTube hunting shows, he will always point out the deer or turkeys, it's our game we play. He also will tell you what sound a turkey or duck makes and doesn't just say gobble or quack, he actually tries to sound like the animal. I brought him along this spring for an afternoon turkey hunt, we only stayed for about an hour but he had fun. He hates being inside so we have been fishing a lot this summer. I don't even take a rod for myself, we share a Zebco 33. He had fun blowing the owl and crow calls when we went out turkey hunting. Definitely hope I can keep him interested in it.

Attachments

• 00BA5FDD-1E90-43A1-94E2-1CEB9512DC54.jpeg
    00BA5FDD-1E90-43A1-94E2-1CEB9512DC54.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 647
  • C9BAA30B-56D5-4E69-BFE6-C8C6E914DCD3.jpeg
    C9BAA30B-56D5-4E69-BFE6-C8C6E914DCD3.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 649
  • 8B49F7E4-A943-4BFB-B46F-CBB1DBBEE96C.jpeg
    8B49F7E4-A943-4BFB-B46F-CBB1DBBEE96C.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 649

Volbuck777

clwg97":2l23s2b2 said:
My 2-1/2 year old and I will watch the YouTube hunting shows, he will always point out the deer or turkeys, it's our game we play. He also will tell you what sound a turkey or duck makes and doesn't just say gobble or quack, he actually tries to sound like the animal. I brought him along this spring for an afternoon turkey hunt, we only stayed for about an hour but he had fun. He hates being inside so we have been fishing a lot this summer. I don't even take a rod for myself, we share a Zebco 33. He had fun blowing the owl and crow calls when we went out turkey hunting. Definitely hope I can keep him interested in it.

Heck yea man like the pics, sound like he's headed towards a lot of filets and back straps.

Volbuck777

Pilchard":3g7u6qki said:
Westnvol89":3g7u6qki said:

I believe this is sage advice.

I have taken my now 5 year old "squirrel hunting" many times. He doesn't know it but we aren't hunting squirrels at all. We talk about life, nature, you name it. A couple times a squirrel has shown itself and I intentionally "can't get a shot" or "he's too far away"....

We always find things in the woods that captivate his attention. It's likely that this fall I will actually shoot one to see how he reacts and gauge how able he is to process it. I believe taking a life is a big deal- even a squirrel. And that there needs to be some maturity to do so... I also believe that occurs at a wide range of ages in children.

Agree 100% guys.

JCDEERMAN

Here are a few pics from the post I wrote on above. This was the first and only time I've taken her to our place. We just rode around and fished. Hunting will come in a couple years.

btHPYxG.jpg

2Ph6mYi.jpg

W9BrIEW.jpg

WMwlMHw.jpg

She loves to kiss the fish she catches

KLsMCOS.jpg

Latest posts