How much brush can you shoot through?

fairchaser

Obviously you can't shoot through trees but how much brush can be effectively penetrated to kill a turkey?

Setterman

Leaves seem to not cause much of an issue, but anything "woody" can wreck a pattern. As I got more experienced I don't take chances any more. I don't want to ever cripple a bird or miss if I can help it. If for some reason it's too thick and I don't have a clear shot I'm perfectly okay letting one walk away. I'd rather let him go unscathed or unspooked then risk really screwing up.

MickThompson

I'd say it depends on where the brush is in relation to the bird and the muzzle. Right off the end of the muzzle would upset the pattern much worse than right before impact.

Don't chance it. A live bird can be hunted again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bgoodman30

I've "missed" two birds before when the shot wasn't perfectly clear and just through light brush like privet and blackberry. Don't chance it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cowhunter71

It's amazing how brush and saplings can break holes in your pattern. I've already hopefully "missed" one this year trying to thread a shot through brush. Rookie mistake. I've had to let two separate Gobbler's walk off in the past 10 days because of no clear head shot opportunity. One of them twice in two days. As stated above, I'd rather let one walk off than risk a bad shot and crippling him up. Every now and then adrenaline gets the better of me though.

catman529

Had some bad experiences with brush so I prefer not to. Unless it's really close

fairchaser

https://youtu.be/ub5JOXPizC8

Here's a video in question. See the turkey left of the big tree in the center. Hard to see but I wanted him to clear the tree to the right but he spooked and I'm thinking I should have killed him in that little gap. It was about 25 yds.

fairchaser

bloodtrailing":1rle2g18 said:
i would not take that shot. Did you have a decoy out? He seemed to come unglued quick.

No decoy and pretty sure he caught the glare off my GoPro. I have netting on it now. I agree, he came unglued quick.

catman529

A small opening is OK as long as it's a clear opening. A couple twigs or vines can really mess up a pattern unless the bird is so close it doesn't matter. 20 yards should be close enough if you have a steady shot

megalomaniac

Thin stuff and under 30 yards no problem. Woody stems and no shot at all. More than 30 yds and I want a wide open shot with not a leaf in the way.

Latest posts