How fast antlers grow

BSK

Got the first two pics of this buck July 21st. Third picture is the same buck August 13th, just 23 days later. That's a lot of antler growth in 23 days!

And for those that notice the apparent body size difference and say he's not the same buck: 1) he is blind in his right eye. Considering this is only the second one-eye-blind deer I've photographed in 25 years on my place, I doubt there are two 10-pointers blind in their right eye on my place this year. 2) check out his right browtine. Exact same crook.

Attachments

• Buck2306b.jpg
    Buck2306b.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 280
  • Buck2306c.jpg
    Buck2306c.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Buck2306e.jpg
    Buck2306e.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 280

FTG-05

I just saw three buck up near my pole barn this morning. They all had heavy good sized antlers although I couldn't count the number of points. Good to see healthy deer.

BSK

And yes, as of this weekend there's going to be more than one stand placed to take advantage of what we're seeing from this camera location. Right now, it's an older buck freeway. Have no idea what will happen come fall, but we'll be prepared in case.

BSK

Do you figure he got blinded in a fight by a antler tine or was he born that way?
Either fighting or just getting a stick in the eye running through the woods.

I've gotten a stick in my eye just walking in the woods! I was lucky it hit in the corner and the flexible twig slipped in behind my eyeball. Felt really creepy pulling it out though.

JAY B

It's amazing the timing of growth rate , I have seen some almost done by mid July then others such as this really put on the inches ! How old do you suspect this buck to be ?

BSK

It's amazing the timing of growth rate , I have seen some almost done by mid July then others such as this really put on the inches ! How old do you suspect this buck to be ?
4 1/2. Don't know why he looks so skinny in the night-time video.

Latest posts