Home made bacon

jetwrnch

Anyone make bacon? It seems like methods and opinions are all over the place concerning curing, smoking etc.. Some dry brine on open racks. Others dry brine in a container. Then there's the vacuum sealed crowed. So the range seems to be from open in the fridge to vac sealed. Next are wet brines. In each group you choose between ingredients based on meat weight or just a general recipe. I'm going to try all of them over the next few months. I just don't want to die. So that leads to the final decision of cold vs hot smoking. I like the idea of cold smoking, but Meathead on Amazing ribs has a pretty good argument against it. Any experienced bacon makers on here?

TAFKAP

Yes, it's very easy and requires very little in the way of equipment. The only method I've ever used is a basic ratio of 2% salt, 1.5% brown sugar, and 0.25% pink curing salt. This is a pretty universal cure, and you can manipulate the 2% & 1.5% numbers to suit your palate. But the 0.25% is a hard number that you don't need to exceed. That's why using a digital scale is important for cures. Don't bother with Morton's Tender Quick, and don't follow a "recipe" that says 5lbs belly + XX Cups of Salt blah blah blah.

Find a butcher that'll supply you a whole PRIMAL hog belly. Ask for a primal because it'll be the least expensive option. Trimmed & portioned out bellies get expensive (north of $7/lb to do the easy knife-work you would've done anyway). Bonus points for finding a heritage breed Berkshire farmer near you. The Berk bellies I get are usually in the neighborhood of 15lbs., skin-on, and the last time I bought it, appx. $4/lb.

For equipment, I use a 10lb digital scale that'll read down to 1 gram increments. For curing, it's important to work in grams, so you don't have to worry about conversions. I dry-cure all my meat in Tupperware bins with a snap-top lid. For a small batch (appx. 5 lbs) I've been known to vacuum seal, but oftentimes the meat is too big for most home kitchen sealers. Unless you have access to a commercial meat slicer, don't bother buying a kitchen hobbyist slicer. It's not suited for slicing a slab. A good 10" chef's knife will do all the slicing you need.
16387958_807990623715_7963423684930366495_n.jpg

TAFKAP

Pink curing salt is hard to come by locally. Academy sporting goods stores sometimes will have it, or you can order it online from Butcher & Packer. You'll spend $7 to ship $6 worth of salt, but 2 lbs. will last you a couple years. It's referred to in all sorts of different names: Instacure, Prague Powder, etc. You need Pink Curing Salt #1, which is different than #2.

Kosher salt should be the only thing you use for curing meat. Diamond Kosher is preferred, but I buy Morton's Kosher because Costco sells it. I like to use dark brown sugar.

TAFKAP

The recipe/method I use comes from Michael Ruhlman's book RATIO, and I've never done anything different. It starts with the basic cure (2% Kosher Salt + 1.5% brown sugar + 0.25% pink curing salt). This is the precision part because it's how you control your salt. Otherwise known as an "equalization cure" this method will ensure consistent flavoring regardless of the amount of meat or length of cure time. Alternatively, the "salt box" method is a way to salt the crap out of a piece of meat, then remove it in a time frame that won't let it get too salty. That method can get some pretty wild variations in salt content. Since my bellies are skin-on, I leave the skin on throughout, only removing it at the end. More on that later.....

So playing with a 5lb belly as an example, my cure looks like this:
5lbs. = 2,268g
2% Kosher salt = 2,268g x 0.02 = 45g Kosher Salt
1.5% Brown Sugar = 2,268g x 0.015 = 34g Brown Sugar
0.25% Pink Curing Salt = 2,268 x 0.0025 = 5.67g Pink Curing Salt
(SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN AMOUNTS? Sodium nitrite is poisonous in large amounts, so measure that out first. You might want to use a small bowl and a smaller capacity digital scale to make sure you don't get too much). You might have a cup or so salt & brown sugar, but only a teaspoon amount of pink curing salt.

For flavoring, I use about one clove of garlic per pound of meat. So for this, 5 large cloves of garlic, chopped.
I love tons of black pepper, and my forearms get tired from cranking it out. Usually about 10 grams of pepper is the right amount for my cure.
A teaspoon of red pepper flakes. This won't be enough to make it spicy at all. Leave it out if you're sensitive.
Use about 5 bay leaves if they're large, or 7 ish if they're small. My favorites come from Penzeys spices. Tear them up and mix it around.

Then just dump that across your piece of meat, and rub it around. Use the entire amount since you calculated it out. I usually cure for about 4-5 days, flipping the meat each day. It'll leach out liquid pretty quickly, so your goal is to get the meat as evenly in contact with the liquid as you can.

After 5 days, rinse it off in cold water to get most of the granular stuff off. The bay leaves like to stick, and since they're not good eats by themselves, make sure you get as much of those pieces off as you can. Let it sit on a rack in the fridge to dry overnight.

The next day, I like to roll smoke on about 250°-300° for about 2 hours. Pecan wood, hickory wood, and maple wood all are great for bacon. I usually use a mix. This is hot smoking, which will give you a fully cooked product, so you don't have the same meat safety concerns as with raw store bacon. After my first batch, I quit monitoring temperature of the meat since we're actually going to fry it later. 2-hours between 250 - 300 is just right.

Take it off the smoker and let it cool on a rack. But while it's still hot, use a fillet knife to slice the skin off. Goal here is skin only, leaving as much fat on the belly as you can. Save the skin for flavoring soups, beans, etc. I roll mine up and freeze them.

TAFKAP

Now you have BACON. Slicing it evenly is a chore, and will result in some various thicknesses until you get practiced at it. This is where a 10" knife becomes your best friend. A heavy, long blade drags very easily through the meat & fat. Use a pull-stroke only, not a back & forth slice, for the most consistency. It helps to stick the meat in the freezer for a while too. Firm (almost stiff) meat is much easier to slice. Without a commercial slicer, it's difficult to get thinner strips. The best I can do is generally on par with most store-bought variations of "THICK CUT" bacon. But I start by squaring off the sides so I can get parallel strips. The chunks that get carved off generally get chopped up into pots of beans, greens, or anything else you want to cook.

Once it's all sliced, it freezes well. Cooking it takes some practice because it's not the same as store bought cold-smoked stuff. Since this bacon is dry cured, it's not going to shrink up at all. The best way I've found is to layer a cookie sheet with paper towels and get them soaked in water. Lay your bacon slices on a rack set up over the cookie sheet & bake in the oven on 375°. You'll probably want to flip them over halfway through.

Frying in a pan needs to be done on low heat. Your slices will be inconsistent, and won't cook at the same rate. It's easy to burn because the meat is already cooked, plus the brown sugar will blacken if you cook too hot and too fast. Save your grease because it's delicious.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've been doing my own for about 8 years, and it's significantly better than storebought. Home curing bacon is easy, and it's a fun & delicious hobby. Sometimes at Christmas, I'll give 2 lbs. out as gifts instead, and it always goes over well.

TAFKAP

Anyone make bacon? It seems like methods and opinions are all over the place concerning curing, smoking etc.. Some dry brine on open racks. Others dry brine in a container. Then there's the vacuum sealed crowed. So the range seems to be from open in the fridge to vac sealed. Next are wet brines. In each group you choose between ingredients based on meat weight or just a general recipe. I'm going to try all of them over the next few months. I just don't want to die. So that leads to the final decision of cold vs hot smoking. I like the idea of cold smoking, but Meathead on Amazing ribs has a pretty good argument against it. Any experienced bacon makers on here?

Dry brining on an open rack will only draw out moisture and dry out the meat. The point of curing is to change the muscle by interacting with the salts & sugar. If the dry meat isn't able to mingle with the liquid, it doesn't have a way to equalize, and the flavor you're trying to impart won't have as good of a chance to permeate throughout.

True cold smoking is difficult to achieve for most home cooks, and will require special equipment. There's a whole level of "professional amateurs" that do this weird cycle of DAYS of cold smoking, drying, hanging, etc. Hit it with some hot smoke for a couple hours, and let it be. Nobody will know the difference when they're smashing plates of your finest offering.

But find yourself a good hog farmer nearby that does the heritage breed Berkshire, and you'll really be impressed. The grocery store bellies are fine, but if you're going to all this trouble, really elevate your meat selection. Whole Foods often has some pretty good quality hippie meat, but it's generally expensive, and they're likely to not have a whole primal cut.

jetwrnch

Thanks for all the info. I'm using 2.5, 1.5 and .25% ratios. I have digital scales, but my math often ends up in kilograms. Like 22.5G, so I'm ordering a small scale probably intended for the cannabis market. I noticed that when I weigh out the pink salt #1, remove it, then put it back on the scale it will be off a bit. This happens on all my scales. I'm targeting 150ppm so I have a little headroom. I have a commercial chamber vac and am ordering a commercial slicer. The rinsing part seems confusing as it will rinse off all of the pepper. I guess I can reapply that before smoking. I have a very precise smoker that will do any temp up to it's limit to within a degree or so. I picked up a belly at Costco without the skin. They don't sell it with the skin on. The batch I'm running now is chamber vac'd to be somewhat loose. Not a full vacuum. I did this mostly to prevent leaks. I figured the moisture would help prevent hot and cold spots by distributing the cure better. There's a really interesting YouTube series from some channel called Glen and friends cooking. They do a 12 part series on various methods.

Last edited:

TAFKAP

So you're already well suited to hammer it out very well. You might find 2.5% to be too salty. If you haven't started one yet, I'd recommend dialing back to 2% first....it's easy to add salt, hard to take it out. Rounding up or down to the nearest whole number is fine for all of it. For the in-between pink salt values, I take it to the higher number, and just pinch a bit out. Tenths of a gram aren't critical.

As for the rinse, don't worry about the pepper. I've never gotten a way for it to stick all the way through the slicing process anyway.

There is some debate amongst the hobbyists that a vacuum environment might inhibit the absorption of cure liquid into the meat. I only use enough vacuum to hold the bag against the meat, rather than drawing it into a tight suction. Vacuum sealing for me becomes more an issue of convenience than function.

Looking forward to the results

jetwrnch

Odd that a vacuum is a common way to speed up marinating. Seems like that would apply to cure as well. On the flip side that may just be for a canister. Seems like the chamber vac just squishes the meat. I did see a method mentioned of injecting the cure for really thick slabs.

TAFKAP

Odd that a vacuum is a common way to speed up marinating. Seems like that would apply to cure as well. On the flip side that may just be for a canister. Seems like the chamber vac just squishes the meat. I did see a method mentioned of injecting the cure for really thick slabs.

Nah, no need to inject. The meat is thin enough, even the thickest slabs cure all the way through.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
My limited experience on the topic says there must be an appreciation for good quality unadulterated fresh bacon.
The knowledge that you can do too much to a great cut of meat and you can't do enough for a low quality cut.
I also like a cold smoke and then (if I cure it) a simple dry cure sealed in a bag so there is no moisture loss. Don't rush a good thing or over complicate it.

TAFKAP

Revitalizing this thread. Check out this whole side I bought a couple weeks ago. Appx 30 lbs from Home Place Pastures. I butchered a whole loin out of it, belly for bacon, some spare ribs, skirt "steaks", lots of fatback, and a chunk of tenderloin. Talk about some fantastic meat!

Attachments

• F655746B-489C-40ED-9398-0C8DB1DBE0B7.jpeg
    F655746B-489C-40ED-9398-0C8DB1DBE0B7.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 46

jetwrnch

Well... since we're here... I'm on pork belly number 6 since starting this thread. My friends, neighbors, and coworkers are loving this latest quest for knowledge and high cholesterol. Below is what I've found:
  • Hot smoking with real wood is not as well liked as smoke from pellets in a tray
  • Apple over Hickory, but I disagree
  • Pepper over plain. I'm neutral on this one
  • A commercial 10in slicer is still too small. May have to make a custom tray for it so I can slide the belly in order to get full strips
  • A quality 12 or 14in hand slicer works just fine but takes time
  • BBQ dry rub is great when making bacon for burgers, etc.
  • Lightly chamber vac seal for 5 days then air cure for 2 produces a good pellicle and moisture content
  • Raw sugar over regular or brown
  • I need to order maple sugar
  • Much more to learn and try

TX300mag

Auto correct just changed jowl bacon to bowel bacon!

Great job! The Ruhlman recipe TAFKAP posted here is solid. If I remember correctly he was the one that pointed me to it several years ago.

TAFKAP

Well... since we're here... I'm on pork belly number 6 since starting this thread. My friends, neighbors, and coworkers are loving this latest quest for knowledge and high cholesterol. Below is what I've found:
  • Hot smoking with real wood is not as well liked as smoke from pellets in a tray
  • Apple over Hickory, but I disagree
  • Pepper over plain. I'm neutral on this one
  • A commercial 10in slicer is still too small. May have to make a custom tray for it so I can slide the belly in order to get full strips
  • A quality 12 or 14in hand slicer works just fine but takes time
  • BBQ dry rub is great when making bacon for burgers, etc.
  • Lightly chamber vac seal for 5 days then air cure for 2 produces a good pellicle and moisture content
  • Raw sugar over regular or brown
  • I need to order maple sugar
  • Much more to learn and try

Where are you getting your bellies from? Commercial pink pigs, or did you get a hold of some heritage breed fatties?

Latest posts