Home Defense

duckduck84

Re: Home Defense

MickThompson":1cgmcbds said:
Colt13":1cgmcbds said:
Best home defense is the shotgun, especially a pump. Just the sound of the rack will usually get immediate results.

Has anyone actually tested this theory in a home invasion? Seems logical, but breaking into a house isn't, and comes with a certain level of desperation. I'd just as well they find out where I am and what I'm armed with when I start shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's another one of those gun shop stories people with limited real world, or lack of extensive training, experience like to spout off. The only purpose to it is the hopes that an intruder hears it and is scared off. It's the same as a warning shot in my opinion, not a good idea. Why give away your tactical advantage by trying to be a movie or TV show tough guy? Racking a Shotgun, or any firearm, for intimidation purposes is Hollywood bs.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

landman

Hunter 257W":rh3cewmb said:
My main defense gun is a pump shotgun loaded with 2 3/4" #4 buckshot. A shotgun is a lot easier to hit with under stress not because of pattern spread(which is going to be insignificant at across the living room ranges) but because you shoot it with two hands and have far better control compared to a handgun. I don't worry too much about over penetration because of the layout of my house and where all the bedrooms are. Regardless the #4 buckshot is not known for over penetration. I have no doubt that it will go thorough almost any interior house wall though. But then just about anything powerful enough to be effective will do that. I agree that the 223 loaded with varmint bullets might very well be safer than any handgun because those frangible bullets will penetrate a lot less than most slow moving handgun bullets. A 223 at ranges measured in feet is going to have impact velocities similar to the same bullet fired from a 22-250, 220 Swift, etc. at 100 to 150 yards and at those distances such bullets often don't fully penetrate a groundhog. That's a good thing because it messes up the bad guys innards and keeps everybody else safe. Probably the only effective gun you could use for home defense that won't shoot through walls would be very small shot in a shotgun. Probably #5 or smaller shot. I recall once however shooting through a pine 2x6 with 1 1/8 ounces of #9 and 18 grains of Red Dot. The range was no more than a foot or two but it punched a ragged hole through. I'm sure that if I'd backed off to 10 feet it wouldn't have even come close to punching through.

If you read up on tests done, 7 1/2 shot will blow thru a couple of layers of Sheetrock in the average room size setting, #4 buck travels a long ways in that setting.

For those wanting to "pump the gun" to scare off intruders.....if they are in your house already and have a gun, you mor than likely will be dead about the time you get thru playing with you gun. An intruder has a gun to protect himself from you, or kill you

MUP

^^^^ This. I fear that if I'm ever in this situation, where an intruder is in my house, they will not know what hit them. If they're in the house already, they obviously intend to do harm one way or another.

landman

El Jagermeister":1pzzyt5f said:
I, for one, really don't want to fire an AR inside a small room with no hearing protection. A handgun is bad enough.

My hearing is the last think I'm worried about in a self dense shooting in my house

LanceS4803

MUP":1al2j8k5 said:
^^^^ This. I fear that if I'm ever in this situation, where an intruder is in my house, they will not know what hit them. If they're in the house already, they obviously intend to do harm one way or another.

I was at an arrest when one of the bad guys took a load of 12ga OO in the pelvis. Very effective and not a pretty sight.

sll

MUP":20jexdd3 said:
Multiple firearms, spread out to multiple places throughout the house.
My theory also. :tu: Try coming in my house when I am on the can.........it will not be the smell that gets you.

infoman jr.

JimFromTN":ky989dip said:
Something inexpensive because they are most likely going to break in while you are not there and steal it.
That's silly. My home defense gun is probably the most expensive one I own.

JimFromTN

infoman jr.":pnc6r205 said:
JimFromTN":pnc6r205 said:
Something inexpensive because they are most likely going to break in while you are not there and steal it.

75% of all break ins occur while no one is home. The only weapon that isn't locked up in my house is an old pump shotgun I paid $125 at a pawn shop.

Hunter 257W

JimFromTN":1ybvqz5j said:
infoman jr.":1ybvqz5j said:
JimFromTN":1ybvqz5j said:

75% of all break ins occur while no one is home. The only weapon that isn't locked up in my house is an old pump shotgun I paid $125 at a pawn shop.

This is one factor in my choosing a Mossberg 500 Riot Gun. They are reliable but inexpensive. If it gets stolen it's not such a big deal.

Colt13

duckduck84":2wgp0bec said:
MickThompson":2wgp0bec said:
Colt13":2wgp0bec said:
Best home defense is the shotgun, especially a pump. Just the sound of the rack will usually get immediate results.

Has anyone actually tested this theory in a home invasion? Seems logical, but breaking into a house isn't, and comes with a certain level of desperation. I'd just as well they find out where I am and what I'm armed with when I start shooting.

It's another one of those gun shop stories people with limited real world, or lack of extensive training, experience like to spout off. The only purpose to it is the hopes that an intruder hears it and is scared off. It's the same as a warning shot in my opinion, not a good idea. Why give away your tactical advantage by trying to be a movie or TV show tough guy? Racking a Shotgun, or any firearm, for intimidation purposes is Hollywood bs.

You have no right to question my experience or etc. I know who I am and don't have to prove anything to you. I am guessing mine is prob a little more than yours, but I could be wrong. These type posts are why I quit this forum in the first place, and only recently signed back up under a different name. You have the right to your opinion as do I, but you do not have the right to be a Richard about it.

duckduck84

Colt13":r2twmym6 said:
duckduck84":r2twmym6 said:
MickThompson":r2twmym6 said:
Colt13 said:

You have no right to question my experience or etc. I know who I am and don't have to prove anything to you. I am guessing mine is prob a little more than yours, but I could be wrong. These type posts are why I quit this forum in the first place, and only recently signed back up under a different name. You have the right to your opinion as do I, but you do not have the right to be a Richard about it.
Guess all you want, but it doesn't matter if you've been training for 50 years, bad advice is bad advice. There is no reason to train someone, or implant the idea that, racking a shotgun will scare off an intruder. Its one thing to say "I keep a full tube on my Shotgun and rack a round in before clearing my house. My hope is that an intruder may hear that sound and leave before it escalates, but I am not betting on that." It's another to spout off an old gun shop tale as sound advice, and I'm sorry but that's all it is. Racking a firearm for intimidation purposes has no practical, or tactical, basis.

If you feel the need to quit forums over differing opinions then that tells me a good bit about your personality type.

Colt13

Figured someone with your experience would know that I wasn't referring to racking an empty shotgun. I figured most with common sense would understand that racking an empty shotgun was bad idea. Don't worry about my personality. Forums are for different opinions, but not for you to shove your opinion down someone's throat while downgrading someone else.

duckduck84

Colt13":2wpn0ksh said:
Figured someone with your experience would know that I wasn't referring to racking an empty shotgun. I figured most with common sense would understand that racking an empty shotgun was bad idea. Don't worry about my personality. Forums are for different opinions, but not for you to shove your opinion down someone's throat while downgrading someone else.
So you're going to rack a loaded Shotgun and eject a round out just to make some noise? Most with common sense understand that racking a Shotgun with an empty chamber and a full tube loads the firearm.

Trust me, I'm not worried regarding anything about you other than that you may actually try to "teach" someone about firearms and get them hurt.

duckduck84

infoman jr.":3n52dllz said:
Would you rack a loaded shotgun and dump a live round on the floor? That doesn't seem tactically sound.
He would when he needs to win the argument, I guess.