Home Defense

Mikerichards

Definitely pistol cartridge, especially if the gunfight is inside the home. Less likely to penetrate multiple walls, etc.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Aquaholic

I have a KelTec Sub2K ... Carbine length... 9mm cartridge... Accepts Glock 19,17, 32 round mag and also have a 50 round drum... For Home Defense I think an AR is a little much if you live in a neighborhood or an apartment... Maybe OK if you live in the country away from other dwellings

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

hunter0925

Re: Home Defense

Whatever you are comfortable with and can safely use in your home. If you don't have neighbors then it really opens the world up to what you can use. The downside of an ar is that while some people shoot them here and there most are not truly confident with them and their abilities under stress with them are greatly diminished, heaven forbid there is a jam. I would feel confident with either but my home defense is a pistol because that is all I need and is the safest with my home set up.

LanceS4803

5.56 vs. 9mm (etc), may not be what it seems.

A portion of our training at the LE Rifle Training Course concerned rifle or pistol calibers inside buildings.
Bottom line, while both penetrate about the same amount of drywall (carbine length rifles slightly less), the 5.56 is less lethal after exiting.
I can't find the link to the report, but found someone who printed an extract.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...25105-5-56-actually-may-safer-indoor-use.html

rtaylor

I practice regularly with all my guns but the AR gets the most practice so that's what I ultimately want in my hands. My pistol is closer and I'll grab it first but that hopefully will buy me enough time to get to the AR. 55 grain vmax shouldn't have too much penetration and will make a mess of anything it hits. Lots of good home defense weapons but I'd always choose the one that I practice with the most.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Since my safe is in the basement and that s 2 floors away from me I sleep with my 45 acp with a extra mag. On my side of the bed and a ruger 380 on the wife's side

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

TenMileHunter

My wife and I have several pistols hidden in various places in our home. Glock 23, Kel-Tec .22 mag, AR pistol 300 BLK and a NAA .22 mag. Plus her Glock 43 by her sewing machine.
We are covered no matter what part of our home we happen to be in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foodplot

Hard to beat a sawed off pump gun loaded with 3" magnums......got one right beside the bed

Colt13

Best home defense is the shotgun, especially a pump. Just the sound of the rack will usually get immediate results.

MickThompson

Colt13":3my8usde said:
Best home defense is the shotgun, especially a pump. Just the sound of the rack will usually get immediate results.

Has anyone actually tested this theory in a home invasion? Seems logical, but breaking into a house isn't, and comes with a certain level of desperation. I'd just as well they find out where I am and what I'm armed with when I start shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

My neighbor's dogs were barking, woke me up. I go to bedroom where I can look to see if it is a coyote or a deer or a skunk and it was a guy in black coming down the hillside.

Back into bedroom, called 911.

I grabbed my 1100 and locked the bolt back, slid the window open and pressed the release .

The noise stopped the guy literally in his tracks. I said out loud, stay right there or die and he took off.

Cops got there about 5 minutes after I called.

The best personal protection is what falls to hand when needed. Little preparation goes a long way.

Colt13

MickThompson":iyzezkme said:
Colt13":iyzezkme said:

Has anyone actually tested this theory in a home invasion? Seems logical, but breaking into a house isn't, and comes with a certain level of desperation. I'd just as well they find out where I am and what I'm armed with when I start shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes it's been tested. 100 percent effectiveness no, but what is. I seen several people survive gsw that shouldn't have lived. There are 2 things that bad guys usually fear the most, well trained dogs and shotguns. When they both bark there is some fear, may not stop them, but then you can elevate to next level. On a side note the best home defense is what your comfortable with. There is no right or wrong answer. Gun owners have a sense of ego that says you have to have this gun or this caliber to be accepted. If you ain't comfortable with it you ain't gonna use it. If you don't use it, you better not introduce it to a situation that you may have to use it. Some houses an ar may be acceptable and the best choice, some residences a handgun may be the better logical choice. My house the ar is the logical choice, but t at my sisters residence an ar would not be logical. Put all the variables in and the totality of all the circumstances before deciding what the best home defense gun is for you, not everybody else.

Hunter 257W

My main defense gun is a pump shotgun loaded with 2 3/4" #4 buckshot. A shotgun is a lot easier to hit with under stress not because of pattern spread(which is going to be insignificant at across the living room ranges) but because you shoot it with two hands and have far better control compared to a handgun. I don't worry too much about over penetration because of the layout of my house and where all the bedrooms are. Regardless the #4 buckshot is not known for over penetration. I have no doubt that it will go thorough almost any interior house wall though. But then just about anything powerful enough to be effective will do that. I agree that the 223 loaded with varmint bullets might very well be safer than any handgun because those frangible bullets will penetrate a lot less than most slow moving handgun bullets. A 223 at ranges measured in feet is going to have impact velocities similar to the same bullet fired from a 22-250, 220 Swift, etc. at 100 to 150 yards and at those distances such bullets often don't fully penetrate a groundhog. That's a good thing because it messes up the bad guys innards and keeps everybody else safe. Probably the only effective gun you could use for home defense that won't shoot through walls would be very small shot in a shotgun. Probably #5 or smaller shot. I recall once however shooting through a pine 2x6 with 1 1/8 ounces of #9 and 18 grains of Red Dot. The range was no more than a foot or two but it punched a ragged hole through. I'm sure that if I'd backed off to 10 feet it wouldn't have even come close to punching through.

Latest posts