Hog preparation?

Safari Hunt

Got my curiosity up. Do you do your butchering? Or how/where do you have the hog processed? I live in Cleveland so would look close to home to hunt and process. Does brucellosis cause any concerns with a butcher shop? TIA.

CATCHDAWG

Just like a deer, I process my own. Cut out backstraps and make sausage out of the rest. You can't find a processor around Cleveland to take a deer let alone a hog. And even if you could, I wouldn't trust them, do your own and know how your food was handled!

Safari Hunt

Just like a deer, I process my own. Cut out backstraps and make sausage out of the rest. You can't find a processor around Cleveland to take a deer let alone a hog. And even if you could, I wouldn't trust them, do your own and know how your food was handled!
Thanks for the info. My problem is having a place to process the deer. My neighbor is a big deer hunter. Maybe he has some space in his garage.

Rancocas

I'm another Cleveland resident. There used to be a processor on Old Parksville Rd. that would do both deer and pigs, but he went out of business several years ago. I have not found another anywhere close to Cleveland. I have heard rumors that there might be one up in the Athens area - or was it Madisonville?
I had always processed my own game since I was a teenager, but when I got old I didn't want to do that anymore. However, now I have no choice. I hang a pig or a deer under my carport. If the weather is cold enough I'll let it hang for a day or two. Otherwise, I process it quickly. Usually either my son-in-law or my grandson will be there helping me.
I haven't taken a pig in over 10 years, but I did get a nice 6 pt. buck this past season. My grandson dragged it out of the woods for me. ():~)

billyboy

I just get the backstraps out and make sausage from the rest. Get a big plastic cutting board and do it on the tailgate.

Latest posts