hog hunting?

BigRod

ok i have a question, i'm going to sunqest managment ares this weekend, i have never been. My buddy that is going with me says they have tore his family grave yard up. Do we go there and sit and wait or do we walk and stalk?

trealtree

BigRod said:
ok i have a question, i'm going to sunqest managment ares this weekend, i have never been. My buddy that is going with me says they have tore his family grave yard up. Do we go there and sit and wait or do we walk and stalk?

I would do a drive. Push em out.

SmokeyJones

I was on a lease in Monterey for a couple of years. The deer hunting sucked, but the place was eaten up with hogs. I never saw any but there wasn't a day that went by that I didn't see a lot of sign where they had recently been. That whole area has a lot of hogs. From talking to people up there, I doubt you would have much trouble finding someone to let you hog hunt on their farm.

Tharp

Feral hogs are spreading quite a bit across the counties west of I-75 and north of I-40 closer to Nashville and can be found in many other localized spots in Tennessee. With a little "leg work" you should be able to find a place to hunt. Seems like Big South Fork has an extended season but not sure. When talking to a land owner it will help greatly to present yourself as a responsible hunter interested to taking care of the landowners property. There are also hunting possibilites in the other southern states but make sure you know the laws, due to brucellosis some states are very picky on how the remains may or may not be transported. Always use disposable latex gloves when guting and skinning. It can be a worthwhile and enjoyable experience. I personally love to hear and see the dogs work.

Denny Tharp
--dogger--

A

Anonymous

Plenty of hogs in South Cherokee. Spreadin like fire west of 411 also. Ain't nothin like catchin 'em with a couple of good cur dogs.

wskp11

We use dogs much more fun than shooting then beside hate to waste ammo on a pig. Lots of them over here by Monterey everybody wants them gone. If you don't mind a little drive plenty of guys on Al,Ga,Fl love to hunt them and run dogs. A big thrill if you've never done it

MatthewsSolo69

im looking for somewhere to hunt wild hogs. ive never done it but would love to harvest some. ive deer hunted for 16 years and just looking to do some more kinds of hunting. i live in nashville but dont mind travelling anywhere in the state. if anyone would like to join me or has somewhere to hunt some hogs just let me know. i love being a part of population control.
You ever find any good public land for hog hunting?

cowhunter71

Something tells me you stold that line from me :D Been here almost 20 yrs now, and although I have heard a few talk about feeding some, I have yet to meet or see with my own eyes, anyone who owns them.

Safari Hunt

One can't hunt the GSMNP but the last time we were there, one of the old homesteads looked like it had been plowed. Curious as to what the hog control program is up there. Anyone know?

Atchman2

I have found my two places just by asking around. Both landowners are very particular about guests. One of them has added the name of two friends to the list. The location is so remote it is dangerous to hunt by yourself.

CATCHDAWG

Something tells me you stold that line from me :D Been here almost 20 yrs now, and although I have heard a few talk about feeding some, I have yet to meet or see with my own eyes, anyone who owns them.
Here's some of the ones I used to "feed" ;)

Attachments

• 42329076-0235-44E6-B4BA-E9C2604464C9.jpeg
    42329076-0235-44E6-B4BA-E9C2604464C9.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 74

CATCHDAWG

No offense bud, but if it took that many of them yeller dogs to catch that little hog, they would not be the "blood" of which I speak of.
It only took the two on the right. The others were pups that were turned in after the catch. I never liked turning more than two loose at a time and for the most part, either the those adult dogs could do it alone but you got to train the young ones as well. And these dogs were very well blooded (Weathords Ben). Notice the missing ear on this pig, the dog with the cut collar was famous for collecting ears!

Attachments

• 2EECF750-405A-4A2F-A4FA-A727E972C6C8.jpeg
    2EECF750-405A-4A2F-A4FA-A727E972C6C8.jpeg
    866.8 KB · Views: 73

cowhunter71

Good looking dog, sure 'nuff. Those Ben bred dogs were bred rough, no doubt about that. Not doubting you at all, just skeptical unless I see the dogs work with my own eyes:) I've bred and worked with Cur Cow Dogs my whole life, as well as several generations of my Kin before me. Florida bred dogs that work on both Cattle and Hogs. My dogs also are expected to work "one out", with no more than two on the ground at once. I've been around several here in Tn, as well as N. GA, who have claimed to feed some, but I have yet to actually put eyes on one in 20 yrs of lookin. As for chewing up and ripping off the ears of "stock", Cattle or Hogs, this is something we won't tolerate. When time to catch, it is their job to catch and hold, not kill or maim, and they had damm sure better come off when told😉 Lots of different styles of hunting though, to each their own. I did hear of a crew that hunted horseback on Benton back in Oct. Buddy of mine said they came riding by them with several good lookin Leapard dogs on the ground. Would have liked to have talked to them boys.

CATCHDAWG

I did the Leapard "Catahoula" thing for a few years and they were good dogs. The problem I had with them was that they were aggressive towards any strange dog and person and just unacceptable when hunting public land.
My Blackmouths typically did well with those issues. I worked my dogs to bay until TOLD to catch and they did very well with that unless it was a smaller pig. Any small pig was gonna get caught before I got there, but a larger one, they would bay until given the catch command. Of course that was also back when I could keep hogs in a fence and work them weekly. It took a lot of time and effort and I miss those days! And btw, I'd love to see pics of your dogs!

cowhunter71

I won't post pics of my dogs on here. It seems real Hogmen are looked down upon by TWRA these days. For the record, every piece of private ground I catch hogs off, I have landowner permission to do so. Any time you want to tag along give me a PM. I'm right here in McMinn County as you know;) No guns allowed.