Hodgdon 777 magnum pellets

CHRIS WILSON

Haven't heard anything from anyone yet. If I was shooting pellets, I'd at least give them a try, but personally I'll stick with loose.

big jim

From the limited amount of info I have obtained... It is a new 777 formulation in a pellet form. 2 pellets (I presume 50 gr equiv) push velocities over 2000 FPS for a 200yd shot.

I am no big fan of 150 gr loads...3 Pellets.. (accuracy suffers and recoil is stout), but these look interesting. For all I know they just maybe 75gr equiv pellets, each.

CHRIS WILSON

I read the Hodgdon website about them a while back. I'm not sure if it's a larger charge pellet or a different, concentrated formulation. Their website does warn against the use of more than two pellets though. If it increases velocity, there will also be increased felt recoil. More energy going out the barrel equals more energy moving backwards as well.

777 loose is expensive enough; I can only imagine what these new "magnum" pellets are gonna set folks back. I use 110 gr. of loose 777 with a 250 gr. bullet, get the same velocity and it's less expensive to boot. Can't say I'll be spending the cash for the "magnum" pellets.

BSK

I'm not a big fan of pelletized powders. Way too many misfires being reported with all brands, all powders. Also numerous reports of inconsistant burn rates. Stick with loose powder.

big jim

The answer is a 10% increase in the pellet size. Each 777 pellet is the 60 gr equivalant of pyrodex. Therefore 2 pellets is the equivalent to a 120 grain charge of pyrodex (not 120 gr 777, but from a MV standpoint close to 100gr 777 loose ).

This may be a realstic answer to the 3 pellet magnum charge dilema as I suppose that most rifles with 28" barrrels can burn 120 grains with little or no waste.

Of course this only applies to the folks that choose pellets.

Latest posts