Hiking the AT?

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Do any of you folks hike the AT here in Eastern Tn? I am lucky to live fairly close to it and go out quiet a bit. The only downside is that bears are starting to be a problem in some areas along the trail.

citico_tim

My brother in law hiked the whole dang thing from Georgia to Maine when he was younger. Now he's a major in the Marines. I have hiked about half of the Smokies.

I used to hike the Smokies a lot but a ranger really ticked me off one time. He got smart about us making sure that we camped where he said to camp and that he WOULD be coming through to check and see if we were where we were supposed to be, etc. I am woodsman enough to know that if I chose to I could camp anywhere I dang well pleased and he'd never find me. In fact I think he actually came looking for us as we fished up the stream towards camp. He "checked" my friend, including having him empty his pack. I saw him 3 times and he never spotted me. Even today I rarely rest on the trail. I'll step a few yards off and sit back and watch.

His attitude ticked me off so much that I have never backpacked in the smokies since. I go to North and South Cherokee and camp where ever I dang well please and rarely see anyone else. It also makes for some good scouting which would be pointless in the park.

citico_tim

Stovepipe, I understand their concern. I worked with the Forest Service during the summers through high school where I helped maintain trails and shelters and did similar work in other places during college. I have the same degree that many rangers have. My problems was this guy's attitude. I have seen similar attitudes with others, not all by any means, but some. For some reason they have all been federal. It's almost as if it is "their" park so you had better watch your step. In my education it was emphasized that you try not to alienate people, you need them on your side. But you're also taught to manage them was what he probably was trying to do. I just didn't appreciate his arrogance or approach. As for off the trail, unless it is designated as a sensitive or closed area, I go where I want to go. Catch me if you can. ;)

Poor redneck

Back to the topic at hand I was fortunate enough to hike the whole darned thing back in the late eighties, great experiance, but can't say I would do that again.

Latest posts