Help me scope this

cecil30-30

Picked up a sweet smith and wesson 629 6.5 inch in 44 mag from a member here. I want to make this a hunting gun. I'd like to put a scope on it. I know nothing of handgun scopes. After some googleing I found scope options are pretty slim. Not sure if I should do a fixed power or adjustable. I was thinking a 4x. Any input on a good solid mount or the 629? I was thinking of getting this chest rig to carry it while hunting.

mike243

I have Burris 3X fixed on my Ruger competition target, its too much power for a quick sight pattern. A Halo or red dot would probably work well at usable ranges and quick to point, it can get nerve racking watching a critter while getting your site picture straightened out

rifle02

I always had the best results from a company called Weigand. Back in the day most revolvers required Drilling and tapping and I have done a bunch of them. The bases from Jack Weigand worked out the best. More revolvers are now drilled and tapped and the bases from that company reflect that but they always seem to be the best quality. Any base that clamped around the barrel Etc was unsatisfactory to me.

iowavf

I had a red dot on my 44 mag for deer hunting and like it. I did switch to a 2x Burris last year because during better light the dot was pretty small, but at low light the dot was a little bigger on the deer. Haven't shot a deer with the Burris yet, but no trouble having it zeroed at 80 yards. My shooting range from my blind is about 40 to 110 yards.

Travis G.

Personally I am not a fan of the 2x. I actually think they make the target look smaller. I like 4x fixed or 2-7 variable. Red dot can work but I would opt for high quality with small moa dot. It really just depends on your expectations and shot distance. I have everything from 2x to 3-12x variable on handguns.

Snowwolfe

Cecil,
I own several Burris Fast Fires. If you are shooting targets and tiny critters the 2 MOA dot might be a good choice. However, a larger dot is easier and faster to pick up if you plan on using that beautiful revolver to hunt deer with under 100 yards.
Randy

Lt.Dan

Picked up a sweet smith and wesson 629 6.5 inch in 44 mag from a member here. I want to make this a hunting gun. I'd like to put a scope on it. I know nothing of handgun scopes. After some googleing I found scope options are pretty slim. Not sure if I should do a fixed power or adjustable. I was thinking a 4x. Any input on a good solid mount or the 629? I was thinking of getting this chest rig to carry it while hunting.

You may want to look at this holster. I have one and love it.

brassmagnet

I had a Burris 4 power on s Ruger Redhawk .44 7.5 inch barrel. It was too shakey so I pulled it and replaced with a Nikon 2 and a half power, that took the wobble out of it. Moved the Burris to an AR scout style mount in .300blk.

iowavf

Personally I am not a fan of the 2x. I actually think they make the target look smaller. I like 4x fixed or 2-7 variable. Red dot can work but I would opt for high quality with small moa dot. It really just depends on your expectations and shot distance. I have everything from 2x to 3-12x variable on handguns.
I got a good deal on it from a friend and would buy a different one if this one hadn't been so cheap.

Latest posts