Bought me a new gun today

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I started looking around for a new gun a few weeks ago. I normally carried a G19, but I wanted something just a bit smaller. All my buddies razzed me about it as they all carry 19's too, but I just had a hard time carrying AIWB with it. I had decided that I wanted a Sig 365XL, but they were harder than hens teeth to find in stock anywhere. As I continued to look, go to gun stores and handle different guns, shop online, watch different reviews of different guns, I kept ending up at the Sig 365. I didn't really want to give up magazine capacity though as I'm on our church security team. Lo and behold I finally got to handle the Sig 365 X MACRO, and was blown away at its size and comfort, plus it holds 17+1. I'm going to hold it up to my daughters Glock 43X when I get home, but they are essentially the exact same sized gun.
I hesitated today because I found out from a friend yesterday at church that Sig just released last week a new MACRO with a couple features that I liked, but it would take some time to get one so I bit the bullet.

DaveTN

Congratulations, a review of your new gun after you get to use it would be great.

I have been looking at smaller guns with higher capacity than my Shield 40, but smaller in size than my M&P40 M. 2.0 Compact or M&P40 Full size. Of course, I would have to drop to a 9MM because the gun manufacturers have decided I don't need a 40S&W anymore. So I took a look…

The video on the SIG site for your new gun is comparing it to a full-size Pistol, but more compact.

The height and the thickness of a gun is what impacts concealability the most. The height or grip length is what they are increasing to gain capacity. Length has little to do with concealability but a lot to do with accuracy.

The SIG Sauer P365-XMACRO appears to me to be a full size with an inch or two cut off the length, depending on what you are comparing it to. It looks like your Glock 19 with an inch loped off the length and a 1/8" thinner.

I saw a review with the shooter shooting around 1.8" to 3.2" at 25 yards. That is impressive, I doubt there are many, if any, smaller guns that will do that. That's full-size territory.

My observation is while this may be a quality firearm and is obviously accurate. This offers little over a full size, certainly not in the area of concealability. I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Congratulations, a review of your new gun after you get to use it would be great.

I have been looking at smaller guns with higher capacity than my Shield 40, but smaller in size than my M&P40 M. 2.0 Compact or M&P40 Full size. Of course, I would have to drop to a 9MM because the gun manufacturers have decided I don't need a 40S&W anymore. So I took a look…

The video on the SIG site for your new gun is comparing it to a full-size Pistol, but more compact.

The height and the thickness of a gun is what impacts concealability the most. The height or grip length is what they are increasing to gain capacity. Length has little to do with concealability but a lot to do with accuracy.

The SIG Sauer P365-XMACRO appears to me to be a full size with an inch or two cut off the length, depending on what you are comparing it to. It looks like your Glock 19 with an inch loped off the length and a 1/8" thinner.

I saw a review with the shooter shooting around 1.8" to 3.2" at 25 yards. That is impressive, I doubt there are many, if any, smaller guns that will do that. That's full-size territory.

My observation is while this may be a quality firearm and is obviously accurate. This offers little over a full size, certainly not in the area of concealability. I'd be interested in hearing what you think.
Sure thing, when I get a bunch of rounds I'll give some feedback. Eventually I'll put a reflex sight and light on it. Lots of guys have a lot of good things to say about this gun. The grip height on this is 5.2in which compares to 5.02 for the Glocks 43x, 19 and 48. Barely noticeable, I'll post a picture of my daughters 43X on top of mine below. The biggest negative for me about the Sig is that the barrel is only 3.1in. The new model Sig came out with last week has the 3.7in barrel, which would be more ideal for the 9mm round, but for me it won't make any difference. 49EBC516-FF11-4679-9829-AA163F33F572.jpeg

Laserman1

I've got the 365x and love it 12+1. My wife liked to shoot it better than her 43 so I got her one for Christmas and put a laser on it ( which is what she wanted.). I still have my 19 but carry the x for weight and size. Love to shoot it better than my 19.

Last edited:

Laserman1

I don't think the shorter barrel will make that much difference. At close range (which is what the gun is for) there will be no difference. The pic is my wife's first shots with hers. Accurate enough for me.

Attachments

• 908B7C68-7E7A-4915-B5E8-A5526685505A.jpeg
    908B7C68-7E7A-4915-B5E8-A5526685505A.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 33

DaveTN

I don't think the shorter barrel will make that much difference. At close range (which is what the gun is for) there will be no difference.
I disagree. That picture appears to be at 7 yards or less. That's shows the shooters ability and says very little about the gun accuracy. At 7 yards that should be one ragged hole with most any quality handgun. At 25 yards a quality, full size (Duty Size) handgun, in the hands of a Marksman, can produce groups of 2.5" and under.

Keep in mind we aren't talking about accuracy that is "good enough" for carry, that assumes you know what distance you will be able to take a shot at. We are talking about determining the accuracy of a specific handgun, not the ability of the shooter.

There is a constant argument about barrel length on hunting and gun forums. You have one side that that wants very short barrels, on handguns for concealability, and on rifles for weight. The other side wants every inch of barrel length they can get because they know it effects accuracy and sight radius. I'm of the latter, I know that barrel length absolutely impacts accuracy. But barrel length in the 2.5" to 5" comparison impacts concealability (for me) very little. Grip length, or gun height, and thickness, have the greatest impact on concealability for me.

So since I had never seen the Sig 365 XMACRO I went to their website to take a look at it. As I said above the video about it is mainly trying to compare it to a full size gun. Mainly because it pretty much is. It has nearly the height and width of a full size, but with the barrel loped off at about 3".

However, I found a review on this gun and the author claims groups of 1.8 to 3.2" at 25 yards. (I threw out the best and worst from the chart below). Even off a rest that's pretty darn impressive for a 3" barrel. My Shield is a 3" barrel and I wouldn't expect those kind of numbers at 25 yards. Of course, it's a belly gun and I have never even tried to see what it can group. 10 yards, point instinct, and it hits center body mass and I'm good. However, I wouldn't compare my Shield in this category. I would compare my M&P40 M2.0 Compact 4" or even my Full size M&P 40. Either would be almost as concealable as that Sig, in my opinion. A full size gun might be called on to take out a threat at a much greater distance in a crowd (Church?) and must be up for the task.

cfyRjhT.jpg

Last edited:

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I disagree. That picture appears to be at 7 yards or less. That's shows the shooters ability and says very little about the gun accuracy. At 7 yards that should be one ragged hole with most any quality handgun. At 25 yards a quality, full size (Duty Size) handgun, in the hands of a Marksman, can produce groups of 2.5" and under.

Keep in mind we aren't talking about accuracy that is "good enough" for carry, that assumes you know what distance you will be able to take a shot at. We are talking about determining the accuracy of a specific handgun, not the ability of the shooter.

There is a constant argument about barrel length on hunting and gun forums. You have one side that that wants very short barrels, on handguns for concealability, and on rifles for weight. The other side wants every inch of barrel length they can get because they know it effects accuracy and sight radius. I'm of the latter, I know that barrel length absolutely impacts accuracy. But barrel length in the 2.5" to 5" comparison impacts concealability (for me) very little. Grip length, or gun height, and thickness, have the greatest impact on concealability for me.

So since I had never seen the Sig 365 XMACRO I went to their website to take a look at it. As I said above the video about it is mainly trying to compare it to a full size gun. Mainly because it pretty much is. It has nearly the height and width of a full size, but with the barrel loped off at about 3".

However, I found a review on this gun and the author claims groups of 1.8 to 3.2" at 25 yards. (I threw out the best and worst from the chart below). Even off a rest that's pretty darn impressive for a 3" barrel. My Shield is a 3" barrel and I wouldn't expect those kind of numbers at 25 yards. Of course, it's a belly gun and I have never even tried to see what it can group. 10 yards, point instinct, and it hits center body mass and I'm good. However, I wouldn't compare my Shield in this category. I would compare my M&P40 M2.0 Compact 4" or even my Full size M&P 40. Either would be almost as concealable as that Sig, in my opinion. A full size gun might be called on to take out a threat at a much greater distance in a crowd (Church?) and must be up for the task.

cfyRjhT.jpg

Longer range accuracy was definitely a concern of mine, and was my biggest hesitation on moving from G19 to a smaller carry type gun as I am on our church security team. I am by no means a great shot, and we do have ourselves spread out in the congregation for tactical reasons. I've only had the opportunity to shoot the new Sig once and I'm at least twice as accurate as I was with the Glock to 15 yards. I was able to put all rounds in a six inch circle at 15 yards pretty easily. The gun cycles a lot nicer and recoil is very manageable for me. My plan is to put a reflex sight on it as well that will help with long range accuracy a LOT. I shot a buddies the other day with a red dot and the ability to hit the target at long ranges is amazing, I just have to get used to acquiring the dot. Very impressed.

Latest posts