Help choosing

44 mag

I can't saw for sure as I don't live in bear county, but I would think it would be plenty. I have heard some guides carry a 10 mm in Alaska.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Yes. Especially using hard cast bullets.

41Magnum

Yes. Especially using hard cast bullets.

This

Grill-n-man

The 10mm with the right bullet will do fine. There has been a huge increase in demand for the 10mm in the last 5 years. Have read many stories how in places like Alaska guides, hunters, fisherman, and others are going with the 10mm because of the capacity, gun and ammo availability, and types of bullets. My understanding is although there are more powerful rounds out there the 10mm and the capacity of many of the guns is more beneficial. When the ole bunghole is tighter than a frogs hind end what you rather have 6 rounds to save your keyster or 15. Oh and jumping ahead of the "proper one shot placement being most critical" when a pissed off animal is traveling 30mph and at 20 ft anoint no such thing, it's let the dragon breath fire and hope the man upstairs is fixing to lend a hand

Hduke86

10mm with hard cast bullets are the way to go for bear protection. I'll be the first one to admit that I would definitely have bear spray also. Black bears are not hard to deter and would bet just the sound of a gun going off would make it disappear. Now if out in grizzly country is a different story. I'd be pulling the trigger as fast as I could and hope one round landed between the eyes of a charging bear. You really want to see how hard it is to hit something like a charging bear. Have someone roll a basketball across the ground towards you after you just ran to get your heart rate up and see if you can hit the ball.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Question why not a Glock? May have to change recoil spring and guide if wanting to shoot the beast loads but other than that they hold up just fine
One if not both ammunition manufactures I linked above do not recommend using them in Glock pistols. Their websites discuss why.

FLTENNHUNTER1

One if not both ammunition manufactures I linked above do not recommend using them in Glock pistols. Their websites discuss why.

Evidently the warnings are for Glock 40's. Appears 10mm is okay.

DoubleRidge

The 10mm with the right bullet will do fine. There has been a huge increase in demand for the 10mm in the last 5 years. Have read many stories how in places like Alaska guides, hunters, fisherman, and others are going with the 10mm because of the capacity, gun and ammo availability, and types of bullets. My understanding is although there are more powerful rounds out there the 10mm and the capacity of many of the guns is more beneficial. When the ole bunghole is tighter than a frogs hind end what you rather have 6 rounds to save your keyster or 15. Oh and jumping ahead of the "proper one shot placement being most critical" when a pissed off animal is traveling 30mph and at 20 ft anoint no such thing, it's let the dragon breath fire and hope the man upstairs is fixing to lend a hand

I totally get the idea of wanting 15 rounds vs 6.....but.....the angry animal mentioned traveling 30mph at 20 feet.....your likely not getting off 15 rounds....and the revolver is almost certainly going boom 6 times....the automatic might...might not.....6 "bigger" booms could be an advantage. (No doubt I'm in the minority...but in wet nasty dirty conditions the revolver is a very dependable weapon) but if I was carrying an auto...the 10mm would be a fine choice.

Grill-n-man

6 big booms verses 15. Very good comment. Now this idea/theory being based on first hand articles I've read and interviews with attack survivors through the years, is simply this - a semi auto will give the vast majority an incredible advantage for multiple shots. Failure rates on wheel guns during attacks are higher than than most realize. This is a debatable all day thing and really ends up being a personal choice. Watch an IDPA match especially with newer shooters and you'll see failures with wheels and semi. As far as the wet, dirty, and nasty there are a crap ton of men that survived beaches to jungles and every other hell hole they were forced into with a good ole 1911. Reliable in the nasty comes into play in the build. You want one ragged hole at 25yards get a $3000 show piece. Want to come come home get a $500. Rather have it rattle and work in hell or the yard than be able to comb my hair and ooh and ahhh. Many think wheel guns are simply pull trigger her bang. Not so much If it's a single action you going to have to cook the hammer, readjust grip, acquire target best you can, and fire then start all over again for next shot. Double action you'll have to getting through about 12-15 pounds of trigger pull to rotate cylinder, chocolate chip cookie hammer, and fire while retaining on target. But like I said the facts and opinions are out there for both wheel and semi. And it really ends up being personal opinion.

Again really good comment thank you. Glad this site is finally getting back to conversations instead of insults and butt hurt

Shanman

A can of spray weighs a whole lot less and works instantly, once a bear is wounded from a gun shot it's a flip of the coin then. I carry here in TN because of nut jobs, not bears. If it makes you feel more comfortable when in bear country and you can actually relax and enjoy the outing, then it is well worth it. Just my .02 cents.

DoubleRidge

6 big booms verses 15. Very good comment. Now this idea/theory being based on first hand articles I've read and interviews with attack survivors through the years, is simply this - a semi auto will give the vast majority an incredible advantage for multiple shots. Failure rates on wheel guns during attacks are higher than than most realize. This is a debatable all day thing and really ends up being a personal choice. Watch an IDPA match especially with newer shooters and you'll see failures with wheels and semi. As far as the wet, dirty, and nasty there are a crap ton of men that survived beaches to jungles and every other hell hole they were forced into with a good ole 1911. Reliable in the nasty comes into play in the build. You want one ragged hole at 25yards get a $3000 show piece. Want to come come home get a $500. Rather have it rattle and work in hell or the yard than be able to comb my hair and ooh and ahhh. Many think wheel guns are simply pull trigger her bang. Not so much If it's a single action you going to have to cook the hammer, readjust grip, acquire target best you can, and fire then start all over again for next shot. Double action you'll have to getting through about 12-15 pounds of trigger pull to rotate cylinder, **** hammer, and fire while retaining on target. But like I said the facts and opinions are out there for both wheel and semi. And it really ends up being personal opinion.

Again really good comment thank you. Glad this site is finally getting back to conversations instead of insults and butt hurt

Many great points...and I'm certainly not anti-auto ....there are many great options out there....but part of my opinion is based off of my late father-in-law's experience in over three decades of law enforcement....so during the early portion of his career revolver's were the issued weapon period...S&W 38s....then as time marched on came the Ruger auto loaders followed by the Glock...9mm.....And his testimony and observations were this....during the annual qualification rounds....of all the years he carried the S&W ...he saw TWO failures on the line....one was a brand new revolver just out of the box which had a factory pin or spring malfunction...gun was returned to S&W....the other failure was ammo related....this was over a decade of annual qualification rounds.... With the auto loaders....every single year there was at least one jam....rack and tap....clear the jam...etc.....agree, any weapon can fail....but I've never seen a wheel gun jam....and I have had an auto jam....once from being dirty (my fault) another I believe was ammo related..... honestly I'm a fan of both auto loaders and revolver's....but I truly do appreciate how reliable revolver's are and how they have stood the test of time....great conversation...I need to visit the handgun forum more often. (And for the record I'm a huge fan of the 1911 and totally agree with your comments pertaining to it...great gun)

Last edited:

DC219

I totally get the idea of wanting 15 rounds vs 6.....but.....the angry animal mentioned traveling 30mph at 20 feet.....your likely not getting off 15 rounds....and the revolver is almost certainly going boom 6 times....the automatic might...might not.....6 "bigger" booms could be an advantage. (No doubt I'm in the minority...but in wet nasty dirty conditions the revolver is a very dependable weapon) but if I was carrying an auto...the 10mm would be a fine choice.
I'd way rather have a semi-auto than a revolver if a black bear was getting aggressive. You may not get all 15 rounds off, but you can sure pour on the fire. In 18 years of instructing LE shooters, mostly shooting Glocks, I hardly ever saw one fail to go boom. I'm talking over 200 thousand rounds. A revolver isn't a guarantee either. They have longer, heavier triggers and are way more complex than people think.