Help! Backpacking trips in Middle Tennessee

BirdDog123

Hey guys,

I have been having a hard time trying to find some good backcountry or backpacking trips in Middle Tennessee. I am looking for a 3-4 day trip. I live in Franklin/Nashville area and was hoping to find something within 90 minutes.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I am trying to leave Wednesday.

Thanks!!

BuckHunter511

Gotta go east my friend, near the smokies. You could maybe do a 2 day trip at Virgin Falls here in Cumberland County ! great trails! Ever thought about doing a section of the Cumberland Trail? or anything in the Big South Fork?

BirdDog123

Yeah Big South Fork was where I was headed if I couldn't find anything closer. I got a huge topo from when I thought I would go out there for a hog hunt. Maybe I'll just grab a back country permit Wednesday and head out that way.

whiskey

Big South Fork is well worth the drive. Stop at the ranger station and tell them how many days/miles you want to hike and they will help you map a route that will be a great hike. They will let you know how the water levels are too. You could hike a couple days without seeing anyone, so if you are hiking alone, be cautious.

Savage Gulf is supposed to be great too.

Brisco Darlin

whiskey,
savage gulf is great. the southern part is probably less crowded than the stone door side. old coach trail is pretty rough but the gulf has some of the largest virgin timber around.

Buzzard Breath

Hey BirdDog123,

I cleaned out my PM's and lost your contact info. I'm headed out to LBL for the opening weekend of squirrel season to do a backcountry squirrel hunt. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Buzz

The ScubaCamper

I did a 30-mile loop in Savage Gulf years ago - it's a great one to go on...10 miles in, there's a primitive cabin with a fireplace and many cots.

Definitely sign it at the rangers' station though!

There's also some good hiking in the Conasauga Wilderness, which is near Cohutta, GA (near Chattanooga)

BirdDog123

I have been to fall creek falls. Seems like the overnight trail would be a good 1-2 day trip. We did every other trail there and saw 90% of the park in a day and a half

AT Hiker

G8rntn said:
Any way to hike fall creek falls for a few day???

I will never go to FCF in the Summer, with the exception of this year of course. Dry weather takes a lot of the beauty away from the area, plus it is extremely hot.

LBL is a great place to go as well, but I suggest winter or early spring hiking there. The north/south trail is around 30 miles long on the TN side.

Latest posts