Help Plan a Camping Trip

gtk

Staff member
The wife and I are wanting to head to TN to go camping. Need suggestions on campgrounds or area to look for a campground in, for the following:

She is wanting to go see the Biltmore and something else in that area

I am wanting to flyfish a little if at all possible.

We both will prob do the touristy stuff in Gatlinburg one day or so, and prob hike a day or so in Cades Cove.

I'm thinking a campground in the maggie-valley area would be a good "in-between" ? Looks like about 45 mins to the biltmor and around a hour or so to Gatlinburg.

thoughts or suggestions ?

jb3

Not close to Gatlinburg, but too far away from Asheville would be Roan Mountain. Great little stream to fly fish runs through the campground. Also, my favorite State Park in TN.

jb3

I'd recommend using NPS website. Camped a few years ago near Linville gorge and it had a stream running through it.

mike243

I was locked out of Indian boundary years ago, was on a 3 day muzzle loader hunt and had a wedding to go to on Saturday evening, got back to the campground where my camper was set up about 12, gate was locked no idea who to call to get in. drove 80 miles back to home, went back got camper the next afternoon , never going back to a place where I get locked in or out of .

Huntaholic

I was locked out of Indian boundary years ago, was on a 3 day muzzle loader hunt and had a wedding to go to on Saturday evening, got back to the campground where my camper was set up about 12, gate was locked no idea who to call to get in. drove 80 miles back to home, went back got camper the next afternoon , never going back to a place where I get locked in or out of .
You arent going to lock me in or out of a campground that Ive paid to stay in. Thanks for the reminder, a set of bolt cutters will go in my camping gear!

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Take a look around Bryson City, NC. Deep Creek campground is a good one. Centrally located and fishing there as well.

gtk

Staff member
I have just about decide to try either Happy Holiday in Cherokee, which is on the SOCO river, or Yogi in the Smokies which is on the ?RavenFork? .. Both look to have fishing within walking distance of campground.

any other suggestions? Only requirement would be water/electric at the site, and about 1/2 way between Ashville and Cades-Cove

david k.

I have just about decide to try either Happy Holiday in Cherokee, which is on the SOCO river, or Yogi in the Smokies which is on the ?RavenFork? .. Both look to have fishing within walking distance of campground.

any other suggestions? Only requirement would be water/electric at the site, and about 1/2 way between Ashville and Cades-Cove
My son and I have backpacked in to backcountry site #47 several times to fish the Raven Fork inside the park and the fishing there is incredible.

Latest posts