Head shots..

fairchaser

Who all here are confident enough in their ability to shoot deer in the head to keep from ruining meat? I know several marksmen that do this out to about 200 yards with great success.
I've known a couple of top marksmen who do this. That is until they blow the jawbone off a deer and then they stop doing that because it's too cruel.

I'm a midrange Fclass High Master and I won't take that chance. Deer are constantly moving and can move their heads in that 1/4 second it takes for the bullet to get there. Not worth it.

Snake

Had a uncle that only done neck shots and he talked my dad in to trying it. So one comes out in front of him about 100yrds and shoots it in the neck deer goes down instantly. So he is sitting there thinking about how much meat he saved on this deer he gets down goes get the truck to load his deer and no deer. He found a light blood trail and call or hunting group because we knew were the deer was heading had them set up in a holler while we tracked pushed the deer to them 3 shots later it was dead. What we found the deer had no write patch left blowed everything out but all the major arties were missed. Was the last neck shots he took so how is a neck shots anybetter than a head shots still a smaller target either way with high chance of a wonded deer. Took several deer with the back of the neck blowed out
If you don't center punch a neck shot you've just messed up a deer . I simply can't understand why not shoot at a bigger target . I understand high shoulder shots but I shoot right behind the shoulder . You miss a little low... heart shot or a miss , little high ...lung or spine shot . I would rather track one a little ways than maim one to suffer . I had to shoot my last buck where I really don't like to a shoot ... a straight on shot but he's was just about 35 yards and done right they drop in their tracks which he did .

agelessssone

I jumped a bedded buck once, he ran about 60 yds, stopped, facing away, took the shot with the muzzleloader (resting on a tree), put it right between his ears.
Short drag to the truck.
Did five years with head shots only.
Longest shot was 110 yds, from a leaned on tree.
Average of two to three dee per year.
Good rifle, good rests, standing targets

Latest posts