He gone

Displaced_Vol

What about the way it happened did you not like?
Every thing about it. Christ we can't help but make ourselves a laughing stock.
Mid year extensions for both Fulmer & Pruitt, followed not long after by the start of the internal investigation apparently.
The info leaked in the middle of the final game of the season. In sharp contrast to the way Florida handled their own internal investigation I might add. Over the course of a month its nothing but rumors along with the news that UT hired the coach killers at Bond, Schoeneck & King. So at that point the writing is on the wall but lets let everything twist in the wind for a few more weeks. .So next comes a hiring freeze, that can't be good. But in the middle of a hiring freeze we bring on Kevin Steele. Gee that seems odd...but OK. Now he's an interim head coach. You know what's not good for recruiting and building programs... interim coaches.

I just watched the presser, they fired 9 coaches/assistants and according to the chancellor, they fired Pruitt because he should have known better. Maybe he should, I still haven't heard anyone report the violations. Maybe it was hookers in the dorms just like Louisville. Maybe it was stuff that half the football programs in the country engage in but never get caught. Amarius Mims and Eric Gray are all I heard. Will Wade can get caught on wire taps talking about payments to players and he can stick around no problem, all I've heard about JP is that his assistant coaches got caught doing wrong and he should have known better. Maybe there is more to his involvement. If there is why not share that now when you fire him? If the allegations and violations are serious enough to warrant the head coach being fired, that was probably obvious enough weeks if not months ago, dragging it out like this has made everything worse. And if what they said in the presser is correct, in that it was all the fault of assistants and he should have had more control, you can full on expect he's going to sue the university for his buyout. If he was dragging around bags of cash ok, he's fired for cause and he doesn't have much of a case but I fully expect he's already talking to lawyers. But its cool we're only expecting a 40 million dollar shortfall this year.

Fulmer deciding to retire may sound like he's doing something noble but its not. As hard as it is going to be to get a coach how hard is it going to be to get a quality AD? Our ADs have been a huge part of our problem, and now we have basically said to anyone taking that job, "if you don't get the football coach right then you're gone too".

Now who do we get? Who wants it? Is Gus a better coach than JP, yeah he is but what is UT going to offer him that Auburn didn't in order to be a successful coach on the terms of what we were 20 years ago. You think he's interested in building a program? Is it going to be Freeze? Because he brought Liberty to some sort of national prominence when they play the school of the deaf and blind half their schedule? He's certainly got baggage but all they've said on this presser is that you have to win with integrity so I don't think that puts him at the top of the list.

As much as it might irritate me to have all these bammers and gators on here point out we're not a top 10 program, they're exactly right. 110% right. One because we're not very good at football and also because upper management and handling of the program is a disaster. How in the hell you gonna cheat and go 3-7?

To JP's ability as a coach, I wasn't sold on that but I did not believe he should have been fired this year solely on football reasons alone. Was he going to help get this program going in the right direction I don't know but I believed he deserved one more year as HC. Everybody likes to point out how he loses games by a larger margin than Dooley and that's true, but I also remember when Bama wanted to beat everybody 7-0. Its not the same game and we are further behind than we were in 2010. We are living in deja vu land and this constant cycling of coaches and ADs puts you further behind because you recruit 17 year olds and every other coach in the country is going to point out what a zoo UT is... This weekend the media office put out videos on social media of JP welcoming the early enrollees to the program. After they had the info on Friday that they were going to fire him. Are you kidding?? People all over that program, that town and the UT media all play a role and we can't get out of our own way.

Last edited:

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Please

Attachments

• 6B9C5ADE-AB79-41C3-B6D2-45B064AD3CEE.jpeg
    6B9C5ADE-AB79-41C3-B6D2-45B064AD3CEE.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 97

Mescalero

The circus three years ago was a one ring circus compared to the three ring circus this one is going to be. Forget Freeze (my goodness, it's looking like level 1 and level 2 violations). Might as well hire Art Briles as his OC. Nine terminations. If the investigation is true and the violations are factually so egregious as to allow UT to get out of the Pruitt's and the other others' buy-outs, the sanctions are going to be crippling. No coach by the last name of Gundy, Herman, Malzahn, Napier, Fickel, or even Gruden will touch that job knowing the rebuild they are in for not to mention the atmosphere. If the investigation and the reasons for terminations turn out to be a witch hunt to find a reason to fire Pruitt et al without having to pay, what coach would take a job with UT knowing what could very well happen to him?

Displaced_Vol

The circus three years ago was a one ring circus compared to the three ring circus this one is going to be. Forget Freeze (my goodness, it's looking like level 1 and level 2 violations). Might as well hire Art Briles as his OC. Nine terminations. If the investigation is true and the violations are factually so egregious as to allow UT to get out of the Pruitt's and the other others' buy-outs, the sanctions are going to be crippling. No coach by the last name of Gundy, Herman, Malzahn, Napier, Fickel, or even Gruden will touch that job knowing the rebuild they are in for not to mention the atmosphere. If the investigation and the reasons for terminations turn out to be a witch hunt to find a reason to fire Pruitt et al without having to pay, what coach would take a job with UT knowing what could very well happen to him?
All this.

PillsburyDoughboy

Smart on his part. Never show all your cards. I mean gonna cheat and still go 3-7...that's pathetic! :D
That is the really funny yet pathetic part of it. Always Cheat always win says Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch. But to cheat in Football and only go 3-7??? Geeze you got guys volunteering to coach pee wee football that could do better than that.

wayne

I'd still take Pruitt over Schiano.

Displaced_Vol

One reason I was willing to ride with Pruitt and co for another year was they seemed well positioned with our in state 2022 class. It's arguably the best in state class we've ever had, headlined by Ty Simpson. If they were able to land a significant amount of that crowd it could have led to real positive results on the field

PillsburyDoughboy

Why. I've asked you directly in the past and you didn't answer. You may be right. I am genuinely curious why you think that's the case other than being 16-1 in his life against the tide.
Because Phil had a ego to stroke and came to the table with sour grapes after getting fired the first time. He had something to prove this time around and had his hands in everything. Remember the NCAA violation where he was sanctioned for coaching the team???

Hes had his hands in everything. Its all gonna come out .. Hes the ring leader in all of this I feel certain. Pruitt never really had a chance to build the team he wanted. He had dad telling him what to do.

Displaced_Vol

Because Phil had a ego to stroke and came to the table with sour grapes after getting fired the first time. He had something to prove this time around and had his hands in everything. Remember the NCAA violation where he was sanctioned for coaching the team???

Hes had his hands in everything. Its all gonna come out .. Hes the ring leader in all of this I feel certain. Pruitt never really had a chance to build the team he wanted. He had dad telling him what to do.
Thanks for the answer. I'm not at all worried about him getting in trouble for helping coach the o-line (although maybe I should have been as much as they under performed).
I can see him having sour grapes from the end of his coaching tenure. I have no idea if it resulted in him meddling to the point of mass implosion we seem to be in now.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
IF you're gonna' cheat, at least you should win.

Just shows he wasn't ready for prime-time.

Looks like UT better resign itself to being Vanderbilt-Lite.
I think that is exactly the problem.
The liberal idiots in charge don't WANT a football program, they wanna be like Vandy.... we smart too ya know ;)

In all seriousness, the trouble with the football program, or lack there of, come from much higher than a coach or AD.

Latest posts