Have Quail...Need Dog

Otterman

I am a life long hunter, but have never hunted quail. We have a 100ac farm that is loaded with quail(and Dove). I counted almost 100 of them during deer season. They would walk right by the ground blind. Had a bunch bust on me as I walked in and out all season long.
Here's the deal. The farm was not cut this year. It is pretty deep CRP at this time. We cut a bunch of paths in the fields for walking, but if you drop a bird in the high stuff..well good luck. I want to hunt them, but don't think it can be done without a dog.
I would like to know if this would be worth trying or not?

Now the kicker. If this is a good hunting setup, I need someone with a "GOOD" dog(not one we are going to chase all over the country)who would like to try to hunt this farm with me. I will be very selective of the person. I will not hunt with "sloppy" hunters.
So what do you guys think?

44fanatic

R.I.P.
I would love to take you up on that but I have never been bird hunting nor do I have a bird dog.

I think you will have someone jumping on this offer as soon as they read it...good luck.

51 pointer

Im curious of where you are located, I have a mossy oak prostaff buddy who has a dog and needs a place to hunt/work him, he and I are both in Nashville, please PM me if you are interested, it sounds like you definetly need a dog

jessebelk

I love to quail hunt and call me crazy but I do it with my Lab. Just a bit of advice though. Be careful how many birds you take out of a covey. A lot of hunters will kill every bird in a covey except one or two. That decimates the populations especially if you wound the one or two that got away. The best practice is to take 2-3 birds out of a covey. Over hunting is one of the biggest reason Stik hasn't seen wild quail. I know a lot of people are going to blame predators, but I disagree.
I can't remember the name of the ranch in AL, but there is a big private ranch down there that is by invitation only; they have 12,000 acres and only take 200 birds per year. They have excellent hunts, but again they are very careful about the number of birds they take.

stik

jessebelk said:
I love to quail hunt and call me crazy but I do it with my Lab. Just a bit of advice though. Be careful how many birds you take out of a covey. A lot of hunters will kill every bird in a covey except one or two. That decimates the populations especially if you wound the one or two that got away. The best practice is to take 2-3 birds out of a covey. Over hunting is one of the biggest reason Stik hasn't seen wild quail. I know a lot of people are going to blame predators, but I disagree.
I can't remember the name of the ranch in AL, but there is a big private ranch down there that is by invitation only; they have 12,000 acres and only take 200 birds per year. They have excellent hunts, but again they are very careful about the number of birds they take.

i used to hunt a farm(300+ acres) that had 3 large(20+ birds) coveys of birds. they were not hunted at all. we might kill 3 or 4 birds a year incidental when dove and rabbit hunting. as the years wore on, the coveys got smaller and smaller until they just disappeared. loss of habitat( half the farm is now a substation to power the nearby subdivisions) and feral cats(and other preds)are the reasons for the lack of quail. not overhunting.

Baxter83

I just kick them up. I've never used a dog for rabbits or quail except for when I used to go with a fellow once or twice a year that had dogs. I usually killed more by just stomping around. It's less hassle too IMO.

I do understand that when using dogs it's more about the dog finding the birds, but I get more enjoyment out of kicking around the thick stuff myself. :)

jessebelk

Stik, I was not trying to blame you for over hunting at all, sorry if it came off like that. I agree habitat loss is the biggest reason the quail population has taken such a big hit. There are a lot of other factors that habitat loss influences. One of those factors being that the birds are easier for predators to find, including human predators. I should have said use good quality management practices with them to include habitat, and selective harvesting. Quail are a delicate species, if you have them now take care of them because they may not be around much longer.

tndad

Where u located. May need some field work for my english setter when she is 1 yr old. Going to pick her up next week, 6wks old.

Latest posts