Hard horn when?

CliffordN

My buddy keeps telling me he is seeing small fresh rubs. I told him, no way this early...
About what date do you think they will shed velvet?

mike243

Like breeding there is no set time, the dark horned bucks start rubbing before the velvet has dried out enough that blood stains the horns, seems to run in areas, suspect it's a trait passed down through genes.

BSK

Earliest I've seen hard-horn on camera would be last week of August. Latest I've seen velvet is last week of September.

As for rubs, just remember bucks rarely actually make a rub to take off their velvet. The velvet falls off on its own in a matter of hours. Rubs are a communication device between deer, but primarily between bucks. basically, rubs are pheromone wicks.

Realtree56

Dates are correct, this little guy didn't shed velvet til October 6 last year… he's back this year, curious if it'll be the same

Attachments

• 2B5FB4D1-54EB-4711-B753-B5A67D12B50D.jpeg
    2B5FB4D1-54EB-4711-B753-B5A67D12B50D.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 86
  • C55FC845-A2B2-46A3-87AE-737F364EE07D.jpeg
    C55FC845-A2B2-46A3-87AE-737F364EE07D.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 82

BSK

Great pics Realtree56! Where were those pictures taken? Just curious, because velvet shedding dates vary by region.

BSK

Blount County… All of the other bucks I've ever had on camera have normally shed their velvet by September 12ish
Fascinating. Thanks much.

Normally, it's the older bucks that shed first and the yearlings are the latest to shed. I've seen yearlings still in velvet opening of bow season a couple of times. But a couple of years ago I got an older buck still in velvet in late September. If I remember correctly, he had shed by Oct. 1 though.

Normal velvet shedding in my area (western Highland Rim) is like you stated, first two weeks of September.

BSK

Like I said he's back this year, so I'll be keeping tabs on him and try to remember this thread when he sheds to see if he's late again
That would be very interesting.

I have no idea why, but I've noticed - as my clients first sets of baited photo census pictures come in - that buck antler growth seems advanced this year. In most years, many of the bucks have antlers that are still growing the first week of August (antler tips are still bulbous). But this year, just about every buck has antlers that have finished growing (tips down to points). No idea why this would occur.

AT Hiker

Every TN velvet deer I have handled (velvet hunt time frame) seemed to be ready to shed their velvet at any moment. No bulbous tips and no "live" veins. The hair/velvet at the bases are still connected though and the velvet still has a twist or a little give to it. About 25% of them have had velvet starting to peal, possibly due to falling an thrashing as it dies but I cannot say definitively.

I have seen many a KY velvet buck with hard antler bucks in mid September, same thing in Western River bottoms.

Latest posts