Early for hard bone?

samcorn01

CCFB2849-6F04-40B4-90E9-7807387092F4.png

Anyone else already having deer without velvet? Earliest we have seen.

rem270

Rarely do bucks actually rub the velvet off. It falls off on its own in about an hour.
I have to look back through my Photobucket and try to find the pics. I had an 11 pt with drop tine around 2013 that came in one night in full velvet, then a short time later showed up with velvet hanging, then the next day it was completely gone. It was pretty neat. Going to look now and try to find it. I have a lot still uploaded on Photobucket.

dhpro

Rarely do bucks actually rub the velvet off. It falls off on its own in about an hour.
Well trust me they rub . Little wirey twigs nothing aggressive but where he lays and decides it time to come off. I actually saw some blood 1 time . I've seen it multiple times i my life . They don't go in a line for long ways just a little cluster of lightly skinned up trees.I personally feel that they are not anything I would hunt other than someone with antlers is in the area

rem270

Most times, they just shake the velvet off as it peals, and eat it. Very mineral rich.
At a certain point when they get closer to losing velvet does it irritate their head? Been watching a buck for an hour rubbing everything he can, like he's trying to get the velvet off. He started behind me in the woods and was rubbing every small limb or sapling. Then was rubbing his antlers on the ground for a while. Came out into the field and to my salt lick and is now rubbing on the tree. I usually have a cam on the tree in the pic and he's actually rubbing on and around my screw in cam mount. He just acts like he's trying to get the velvet off at any cost because it's bothering him.
20230910_071144.jpg

20230910_072415.jpg

BSK

At a certain point when they get closer to losing velvet does it irritate their head? Been watching a buck for an hour rubbing everything he can, like he's trying to get the velvet off. He started behind me in the woods and was rubbing every small limb or sapling. Then was rubbing his antlers on the ground for a while. Came out into the field and to my salt lick and is now rubbing on the tree. I usually have a cam on the tree in the pic and he's actually rubbing on and around my screw in cam mount. He just acts like he's trying to get the velvet off at any cost because it's bothering him.
I suspect the velvet starts to itch as it dies, just like a healing scab itches.

Latest posts