Hammer -vs- Barnes

gtk

Staff member
Any opinions or real world experiences with hammer bullets? I'm a big fan of Barnes TTSX.

Getting ready to work up a load for my 6.5prc 24" barrel, 1in7 twist

From what I've researched the hammer bullets are designed to shed petals and punch thru the target. Barnes tend to mushroom more.

I've taken many elk with the barnes but I'm always interested in trying something diff.

jlanecr500

I know it's a distant comparison but I shoot hammers in one of my 40 cal sml's. A 300gr hammer at a little over 3000fps does indeed shed petals, as I've found one or 2 in the meat but have never recovered a bullet. At 200+yds, it penetrated both shoulders, blew the sternum out the front, and exited the off side shoulder.
1077.jpeg

nso123

I switched to Hammers a couple of years ago and am very happy with them. They are the easiest bullet to find a load for that I have ever used. I shoot the 124 Hammer Hunter in my 6.5 PRC and it is very accurate. They also have great customer service if you are trying to develop a load, and there is a shared link of load data that they constantly update. Let me know if you want the link and I'll be glad to send it to you.

gtk

Staff member
I still consider myself a novice when it comes to reloading. But they way I understand it, when using monolith bullets like Barnes/Hammer, we can go much lighter because they have so much more weight retention. I understand that correctly, right ?

I was thinking about trying the 118 or 125 HHT's for deer /antelope.

I switched to Hammers a couple of years ago and am very happy with them. They are the easiest bullet to find a load for that I have ever used. I shoot the 124 Hammer Hunter in my 6.5 PRC and it is very accurate. They also have great customer service if you are trying to develop a load, and there is a shared link of load data that they constantly update. Let me know if you want the link and I'll be glad to send it to you.
Yes, would love the link, to do some research.

PickettSFHunter

I use hammers in 300 BLK and 350 Legend. Excellent bullets for maximizing these rounds. You can go lighter and get more velocity out of these relatively slow rounds. My test subjects are many pigs and these bullets perform very well. Deer are just no match for a hog. Barnes does have good options for the 300BLK but their 350 option is a 170 gr bullet. The Hammers I shoot out of 350 Legend are 125 grains. I wouldn't hesitate to use hammers .

fullstream

I'd like the link please.
Thanks Steve

Tiny

I still consider myself a novice when it comes to reloading. But they way I understand it, when using monolith bullets like Barnes/Hammer, we can go much lighter because they have so much more weight retention. I understand that correctly, right ?

I was thinking about trying the 118 or 125 HHT's for deer /antelope.

Yes, would love the link, to do some research.
That is the general consensus...GTK.
I can't say it either way on how that actually works in the field.. cant see to ever get anything to dare me anymore.Assumeing I even get to go.

Tiny

Guys Long Time No Talkie... Aghhh

I too have heard good stuff about Hammers.. Havent tried any yet..
Also heard good stuff about

Makers out of Ga.

Have shot a few of there 350 Legend
n 308 Sub in 06. There accurate..

Can't say anything more on them as havent got any field use with them yet.

Sniper

When Hammer was first starting out we, Trophy Game Safaris, partnered with them. Steve and Brian, owners of Hammer, have been hunting with us for several years now. We load Hammer bullets exclusively for our client rifles and we've probably taken over 500 head of game now ranging from jackals to elephants with them. They are our preferred choice of bullet with real field experience.

Steve from Hammer bullets will be at our booth #1421 if anyone wants to talk Hammers at NWTF.

hunter0925

I'll admit, Im a hammer fan boy. By far the easiest bullet I have ever loaded. I haven't killed a ton with them but did kill 2 doe with a 124gr 30 cal out of my 30-06. They didn't take a step but due to a series of events I didn't have time to really look at terminal performance. I killed 2 doe this year with a 145 tipped hammer out of my 280ai and a small 8 with it as well. Terminal performance was great. Small entry, internals were complete mush and a quarter size exit with good blood trail on the ones that actually made it 15-20 yards. They are a somewhat different animal to load for and the way you do it but I can usually have a load workup completely done in around 12 rounds. Plus, they are always in stock.

Boll Weevil

Regarding pushing lighter monolithic bullets fast my brother shoots 110gr TTSX just under 3600fps out of a 270 WSM.

Terminal to say the least.

nso123

can you elaborate on this? thx
In my experience, you load them to signs of pressure, back off a tad and go hunting. I shoot them in 4 different rifles and have not had any problems getting them to shoot great groups. I also have had great performance on deer with them. None have taken a single step after being shot.

hunter0925

can you elaborate on this? thx
Nso123 is spot on. You don't need to try to shoot groups but instead load a ladder in .5 or 1 grain increments. Once you find pressure, back off roughly a grain and load a group to verify. The only caveat is that they often like to be crimped by a Lee fcd and on almost all long action cartridges I have found them to like magnum primers better. On standard length cartridges I have had success with standard large rifle primers more than magnums. Now remember that this isn't a conclusive statement about primers or crimp but it generally works.

Sniper

If you don't want to crimp just run your brass back through the sizing die with the expander removed after you trim and before you prime. That's what I do.

Latest posts