gun problems or cartridge misfires

Bottom Hunter

I have a Winchester 270 bolt action. Just recently, the gun got very hard to close the bolt. The other day, I had a dry fire . The pin hit the cartridge, but the gun didn't fire.........what could be the problem? Was it a bad shell or does the difficulty closing the bolt mean another problem.......I shot the gun aftethe dry fire and it shot fine, twice actually.....it's still hard to close the bolt........

BH

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
You probably need to clean that bolt (including inside) and the locking lug recesses thoroughly. Likely somewhere there's a small piece of trash hiding (and I've had them hide well). That's my bet. You probably got a light firing pin strike due to either excessive headspace caused by gunk in the locking lug recesses or there's a bit of debris inside the bolt moving about and causing the firing pin to strike lighter than normal. Once I worked and worked on a pistol to try to get it to fire normally and finally found a tiny piece of tumbling media that was jamming up the trigger mechanism.

Here's a good article on gunk.
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsmithing/RSgunsmith2/

Latest posts