Food Plots Groundhog Radishes

JoeVaquero

I plan on trying some groundhog radishes this year. I know they are a variety of the daikon oil seed radish. I have a pretty small plot, will probably broadcast the radishes in about 3 foot wide rows with around 3 feet between them. Then I'll fill in between them with a mixture of turnips and oats or wheat.
Has anyone used these with any success? Anyone have any advice?

Fearless

I planted 5 pounds of seed last year, broad cast over 3 small plots and they were gone by dec. Turnips did not get touched.

TurkeyCreek

I've used them the past 2 years in a mix of GHR, PTT + DER. This year I bought a 50# bag from the Coop because I also use 5# ac. Daikon Radish in my cereal grain/red clover mix. They like lots of N. I spread 150# ac. Urea along with the Fert. recommended by soil test. 4 ac. gone by Jan.

JoeVaquero

I planted on Monday and they're already sprouted.
What did you guys mean "gone by December/January"? Were they eaten up or died out?

String Music

I've had good success with GR in very poor soils. I mainly use them to add organic matter to the soil and also to break up compacted soils.

JoeVaquero

Got the radishes sowed around Labor Day and they sprouted quickly but looked a little thin. I think birds got some of the seed. They were predicting a big rain last Friday so Thursday I sowed some turnips to fill it in a little and fertilized the plot. The rains came as promised and looking at it today I'm really pleased with it. The radishes have really shot up and the turnips have sprouted nicely. I may fertilize again in a couple of weeks if it looks like it needs it.

Latest posts