Food Plots Groundhog radishes and wheat

DoubleRidge

Hadn't done the radishes and wheat but plan to broadcast a similar mix into standing soybeans and peas later this summer just before the leaves yellow.... everything I've read on the giant type radishes sounds good.....nice greens for the deer and a good soil builder....but I'll mix some wheat in as well just to be certain we have some green in the plots this fall.

DavidW

Radishes usually are planted earlier than the wheat. You may want to plant the radishes in August then try top seeding wheat, rye and oats in early September before a good rain.

JCDEERMAN

We planted those last year, but the drought hit and nothing grew last fall. But from the research I did on them, they are great to plant and will be in my blends in the future. They love the greens early and if the radishes don't get eaten in late winter, they create a lot of organic matter for a soil builder.

barkscraper

I plant the wheat , oats and the radishes all first of September every year but it takes at least 2 acres cause the deer will destroy the radishes . I have never planted anything like the radishes and I have planted a lot of different seed for my food plots.

tellico4x4

Daikon radishes are the only ones that have ever planted. Deer certainly love them and will walk thru clover to get to them. However, my experience has been that the first hard freeze wipes out the green tops & turns the radish to mush. They are different than turnips & brassica which thrive in cold weather & provide a good food source into late winter.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

barkscraper

Your right about the radishes not making it all winter mine last till first of January sometimes longer but the oats rye and wheat makes it till spring and then I am flooded with turkeys

foodplot

I plant daikon radish mixed with Dwarf Essex rape first week of september, i put a solar electric fence around it so they won't destroy it.... i take it down about a week before muzzleloader... they hammer it hard till its gone!

Latest posts