Food Plots Radishes

Grandslam11

I haven't had a plot in a few years but the last time I remember people planting a radish (daikon maybe?). Are those still a top pick? I will have about 2 acres to plant. There will already be some clover around this field. The last time, I planted regular purple top turnips and winter wheat, and the deer would walk right past it. I'm not wasting my time on it this year.

JCDEERMAN

Radishes are good soil builders and the deer love the greens they produce. Your right - daikon...others similar are Eco-till or driller radishes. Eco-till is what my coop has now and it will be in my blend this fall

JCDEERMAN

Here is my mixture:

40 lbs wheat
10 lbs Austrian winter peas
3 lbs radishes
2 lbs purple top turnips
2 lbs rape
3 lbs crimson clover

If you wanna keep it simple, I'd say wheat, radishes and a clover

Good luck!

barkscraper

12lb radishes per acre winter wheat has to be awless, soybeans, jerry oats, rye grain, and a white clover will do wonders the lawless wheat is wheat without the whiskers this is wheat they love. I plant this every sept 1st. and have very good results

foodplot

they like the daikon radish a lot better than they do turnips.... i typically plant a mixture of Rape, Turnips and Daikon.... they eat the daikon first.

Grandslam11

715bd1e91be57d274244c77063425c73.jpg

I planted the weekend before Labor Day. The seed got a great steady all day rain the next day. It has hardly rained since. I think the cool nights have provided some good dew and helped. It needs water but I'm pretty proud. I did daikon radishes and Australian winter peas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmed

I love Daikon radish. The deer love them late season and they are great for building up your soil. The only thing about the radishes is that need to be planted a little earlier than most typical fall/winter plots so the root has time to form before the frost. We always plant our fall plots on opening day of archery in KY. This year we did daikon radish, wheat, oats, austrian winter peas, and clover. Last year the deer didnt touch the radish till we got a good frost, then they wiped em out. I actually pulled one of the daikons up and tasted it. It reminded me of sugar cane. pure sweet

dirtyhands

I've done daikon radishes a couple times. I never really noticed the deer ever eating them but they sure did bust up the soil.

Attachments

• 20161211_152927.jpg
    20161211_152927.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,509

Latest posts