Food Plots Impressed with ecotill radishes

megalomaniac

I reclaimed 5 ac with a skid steer and mulching head early Aug. Lined, fertilized and planted with 100lb/ ac wheat and 5lbs/ ac of ecotill radishes (basically a variant of diakon) at the end of Aug. It rained twice the next week, then no rain x 5 weeks. The wheat all germinated and died, but somehow the radishes survived and even thrived! Coverage was spotty due to low seeding rate, so I came back over them with a drill and wheat, rye, balansa clover.

Deer and turkeys both have been wearing out the radishes, tho
fc9604e93fcdd8cea68717ad903214c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

JCDEERMAN

Awesome. I planted them as well and cant wait to check them out this coming weekend. Are they just eating the greens above ground so far?

megalomaniac

Just the greens I think. I havent been in TN since the velvet hunt to know for sure, and my dad is fairly clueless when it comes to hunting stuff

JCDEERMAN

I planted them for the first time this year and heard they will annihilate the greens before anything else in the plot, no matter what you have planted. Mixed reviews on if they actually eat the radishes. I'd bet they would in my area, but if not, they are great soil builders.

tellico4x4

A few years ago when radishes got popular, I planted some 10' wide strips in a few older clover plots. The deer would head straight for the radish greens just about every time they entered plot bypassing the clover. However, after a couple of hard freezes, the radish portion in the ground turned to mush.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Tiny

Just for saying.. I put out a couple strips here with Whitetail No Plow which has Radishes of some type in.
I actually put them out to soon I think 1 strip in July another in August
Radishes did fine but have turned brownish on the leaves..
Recent rains have helped that..
Any event I know the Ground hogs have had fun in em .an Yes the Deer have been in em ..N Another group I didnt know was around have showed. All at night ...

Back Yard Former Kudzu patch section.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JCDEERMAN

Rockhound":1xoihi7h said:
I've tried and will continue to try, but every time I put radish seed out, it doesn't rain for a month and I get no growth
If you're in the middle TN area, please don't plant them next year :super:

megalomaniac

I think this weekend is going to kill them. 22 Fri night, then in the teens Tues night. Luckily, I have cold tolerant forage coming up nicely after drilling through them Oct 7th. (Pic was 2 weeks ago)
1b6a94879eec30f50071f4bf02e4d02d.jpg

Latest posts